Pharmacists as providers of HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis
- 479 Downloads
The efficacy of HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) has been demonstrated in four clinical trials to date; however, the success of PrEP is largely dependent on high levels of medication adherence. Due to their extensive experience and expertise in medication adherence counseling, as well as their ability to monitor and manage medication adverse effects and drug–drug interactions, clinical pharmacists are well-equipped to play a key role in effective PrEP utilization. Here we discuss reasons favoring the establishment of a protocol-based, pharmacist-run PrEP clinic.
KeywordsAdherence HIV/AIDS Pharmacist Pre-exposure prophylaxis Prevention PrEP
The project described was supported by NIH award numbers F32MH086323 and K23MH097649.
Conflicts of interest
- 1.UNAIDS. UNAIDS fact sheet. Geneva, Switzerland: Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS; 2011; Available from: http://www.unaids.org/en/resources/presscentre/factsheets/.
- 2.Abdool Karim Q, Abdool Karim SS, Frohlich JA, Grobler AC, Baxter C, Mansoor LE, et al. Effectiveness and safety of tenofovir gel, an antiretroviral microbicide, for the prevention of HIV infection in women. Science. 2010;329(5996):1168-74.Google Scholar
- 7.Microbicide trials network statement on decision to discontinue use of oral Tenofovir tablets in VOICE, a major HIV prevention study in women.: microbicide trials network; 2011 [4/15/2012]; Available from: http://www.mtnstopshiv.org/node/3619.
- 8.Microbicide trials network statement on decision to discontinue use of Tenofovir gel in VOICE, a major HIV prevention study in women.: microbicide trials network; 2011 [4/15/2012]; Available from: http://www.mtnstopshiv.org/node/3909.
- 15.Romano J, editor. PrEP 2: The next generation of drugs and technologies (Paper #69). In: 19th Conference on retroviruses and opportunistic infections. Seattle, WA; 2012. http://retroconference.org/.
- 25.HIV/AIDS Programme. Guidance on pre-exposure oral prophylaxis (PrEP) for serodiscordant couples, men and transgender women who have sex with men at high risk of HIV: Recommendations for use in the context of demonstration projects. In: World Health Organization, editor. 2012. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/75188/1/9789241503884_eng.pdf
- 26.Center for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC interim guidance on HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis. Atlanta, GA; 2012. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/prep/.