The efficacy of octreotide LAR (long acting release) treatment in patients with somatotropinoma, and mixed pituitary tumours
- 27 Downloads
Objective: The efficacy of somatostatin analogues in the treatment of acromegaly is not always equal and therefore we wanted to evaluate the efficacy of therapy with octreotide long acting release (LAR) in patients with monohormonal tumours (somatotropinomas) in comparison to individuals with mixed pituitary tumours secreting alphasubunit.
Method: The 35 acromegalic patients (18 males and 17 females), aged 41.8 ± 8.8 years, were divided into 2 groups according to the secreted hormones: 1 with mixed pituitary tumours with elevated growth hormone and alpha-subunit concentrations, the other with isolated growth hormone hypersecretion and normal alpha-subunit levels. The groups included 19 patients (9 males and 10 females), aged 40.1 ± 7.1 years (mean ± SD), and 16 patients (9 males and 7 females) aged 43.8 ± 8.8 years (mean ± SD), respectively.
Results: The decrease of GH and IGF-I levels after octreotide LAR treatment were observed in both groups. However, the reduction of GH and IGF-I concentrations was not equal in both groups and the differences between both groups were statistically significant (P=0.01 for GH levels, and P=0.047 for IGF-I levels).
Conclusions: After octreotide LAR treatment, the decrease of GH level and of mean IGF-I values was greater in patients with mixed pituitary tumours and high alpha-subunit concentrations than in patients with isolated GH hypersecretion and normal alpha-subunit levels.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Harris AG. Acromegaly and its management. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven Publishers, 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.Lania A, Montovani G, Spada A. Genetics of pituitary tumors: focus on g-protein mutations. Exp Biol Med 2003; 228: 1004–7.Google Scholar
- 8.Pawlikowski M, Pisarek H, Kunert-Radek J, Radek A. Immunohistochemical detection of somatostatin receptor subtypes in clinically nonfunctioning pituitary ademonas. Endocr Pathol 2003; 14: 231–8.Google Scholar
- 9.Saveanu A, Gunz G, Dufour H, Caron P, Fina F, Ouafik L et al. Bim-23244. a somatostatin receptor subtype 2-and 5-selective analog with enhanced efficacy in suppressing growth hormone (GH) from octreotide-resistant human GH-secreting adenomas. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001; 86:140–5.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Reubi JC, Landolt AM. The growth hormone responses to octreotide in acromegaly correlate with adenoma somatostatin receptor status. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1989; 68: 844–50.Google Scholar
- 15.Giusti M, Bocca L, Florio T, Foppiani L, Corsaro A, Auriati L et al. Cabergoline modulation of alpha-subunits and FSH secretion in a gonadotroph adenoma. J Endocrinol Invest 2000; 23: 463–6.Google Scholar