Expression of GFP in the Mitochondrial Compartment Using DQAsome-Mediated Delivery of an Artificial Mini-mitochondrial Genome
- 735 Downloads
We describe a novel strategy for expression of GFP in mammalian mitochondria.
The key components of the strategy were an artificially created mitochondrial genome pmtGFP and a DQAsome transfection system.
Using immunofluorescence and a combination of immunohistochemical and molecular based techniques, we show that DQAsomes are capable of delivering the pmtGFP construct to the mitochondrial compartment of the mouse macrophage cell line RAW264.7, albeit at low efficiency (1–5%), resulting in the expression of GFP mRNA and protein. Similar transfection efficiencies were also demonstrated in a range of other mammalian cell lines.
The DQAsome-transfection technique was able to deliver the exogenous DNA into the cellular mitochondria and the pmtGFP was functional. Further optimization of this strategy would provide a flexible and rapid way to generate mutant cells and useful animal models of mitochondrial disease.
KEY WORDSDQAsome GFP expression mini-mitochondrial genome mitochondrial gene delivery transfection
Dr Diana Lyrawati was supported by a Departmental Scholarship provided by the Monash Immunology and Stem Cell Laboratories, formerly, the Centre for Early Human Development, under the Directorship of Professor Alan Trounson. The authors thank Professor Sangkot Marzuki from the Eijkman Institute for Molecular Biology, Jakarta, Indonesia for providing laboratory resources to perform the immunohistochemistry experiments.
- 10.Muratovska A, Lightowlers RN, Taylor RW, Turnbull DM, Smith RA, Wilce JA, et al. Targeting peptide nucleic acid (PNA) oligomers to mitochondria within cells by conjugation to lipophilic cations: implications for mitochondrial DNA replication, expression and disease. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:1852–63.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Wheeler VC, Prodromou C, Pearl LH, Williamson R, Coutelle C. Synthesis of a modified gene encoding human ornithine transcarbamylase for expression in mammalian mitochondrial and universal translation systems: a novel approach towards correction of a genetic defect. Gene. 1996;169:251–5.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Nakamura Y. Codon usage database, GenBank Release 131.0;. http://wwwkazusaorjp/codon/cgi-bin/showcodoncgi?species=Mitochondrion+Mus+musculus+[gbrod], 2002.
- 22.Hofman F. Immunohistochemistry. Current protocols in immunology, vol. 1, New York: John Wiley and Sons; 1996. sect. 5.8.1–5.8.23.Google Scholar
- 28.Weissig V, Lizano C, Ganellin CR, Torchillin VP. DNA binding cationic bolasomes with delocalized charge center A structure-activity relationship study. STP Pharma Sci. 2001;11:91–6.Google Scholar