The Lived Experience of Religiosity and Stress among Middle-Aged Vietnamese American Catholic Immigrants
- 11 Downloads
Based on findings from an interpretative phenomenological study, this article reports the lived experiences of religiosity and stress among six middle-aged Vietnamese-born American Catholic immigrants. The findings indicate how midlife is defined; types of midlife stressors; how participants coped with midlife stressors; religious strategies for coping with midlife stressors; and wisdom related to midlife. Implications for both clinical and congregational practice with Vietnamese American Catholic immigrants are outlined and include insights regarding how religious beliefs and practices can promote healthy coping with midlife stressors and facilitate resilience. Clinical implications and directions for future research are discussed.
KeywordsReligiosity Stress Spirituality Coping Immigrants Midlife
- Corbin, J., & Strauss, A. L. (2008). Basics of qualitative research (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks: Sage.Google Scholar
- Erikson, E. H. (1980). Identity and the life cycle. New York: W. W. Norton & Co..Google Scholar
- Gillum, R. F., & Ingram, D. D. (2006). Frequency of attendance at religious services, hypertension, and blood pressure: The third National Health and nutrition examination survey. Psychosomatic Medicine, 68(3), 382–385. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.psy.0000221253.90559.dd.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hoeffel, E. M., Rastogi, S., Ouk Kim, M., & Shahid, H. (2012). The Asian population: 2010 Census brief. United States Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-11.pdf. Accessed 21 June 2018
- Kail, R., & Cavanaugh, J. (2004). Human development: A life-span view (3rd ed.). Belmont: Thomson Wadsworth.Google Scholar
- Lachman, M. E. (2004). Development in midlife. Annual Review of Psychology, 55, 305–331. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.55.090902.141521.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lachman, M. E., Teshale, S., & Agrigoroaei, S. (2015). Midlife as a pivotal period in the life course: Balancing growth and decline at the crossroads of youth and old age. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 39(1), 20–31. https://doi.org/10.1177/0165025414533223.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Le, Y. (2015, Spring). Spiritual and religious development at midlife. Human Development, 36(3), 36–51. http://www.hdmag.org/.
- Linley, P. A., & Joseph, S. (2004). Positive change following trauma and adversity: A review. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 17(1), 11–21 http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/109882595/home.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Masters, K. S., & Hooker, S. A. (2013). Religion, spirituality, and health. In R. F. Paloutzian & C. L. Park (Eds.), Handbook of the psychology of religion and spirituality (2nd ed., pp. 519–539). New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Migration Information Source. (2016). Vietnamese immigrants in the United States. http://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/vietnamese-immigrants-united-states?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI167ozcDP1QIVjrjACh1n4AhSEAMYASAAEgKuQvD_BwE. Accessed 21 June 2018
- National Council on Aging. (2000). Myths and realities: Survey results. Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar
- Ninh, T. H. (2014). Colored faith: Vietnamese American Catholics struggle for equality within their multicultural church. Amerasia Journal, 40(1), 80–96. https://doi.org/10.17953/amer.40.1.k045224p5101g541.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Obaid, F. (2013). Mid life career stress (doctoral dissertation, Aligarh Muslim University). http://hdl.handle.net/10603/70266. Accessed 21 June 2018
- Paoli, A., Pacelli, Q. F., Moro, T., Marcolin, G., Neri, M., Battaglia, G., ... & Bianco, A. (2013). Effects of high-intensity circuit training, low-intensity circuit training and endurance training on blood pressure and lipoproteins in middle-aged overweight men. Lipids in Health and Disease, 12(1), 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-511X-12-131.
- Pargament, K. I. (2001). The psychology of religion and coping: Theory, research, practice. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Pargament, K. I., Koenig, H. G., Tarakeshwar, N., & Hahn, J. (2001). Religious struggle as a predictor of mortality among medically ill elderly patients: A 2-years longitudinal study. Archives of Internal Medicine, 161(15), 1881–1885. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.161.15.1881.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Park, C. L., & Slattery, J. (2013). Religiousness/spirituality and mental health. In R. F. Paloutzian & C. L. Park (Eds.), Handbook of the psychology of religion and spirituality (2nd ed., pp. 540–559). New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Pew Research Center. (2012). Asian American: A mosaic of faith. http://www.pewforum.org/2012/07/19/asian-americans-a-mosaic-of-faiths-religious-affiliation/. Accessed 21 June 2018
- Phan, P. C. (2005). Vietnamese-American Catholics. New York: Paulist Press.Google Scholar
- Powell, L. H., Shahabi, L., & Thoresen, C. E. (2003). Religion and spirituality: Linkages to physical health. American Psychologist, 58(1), 36–52. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.58.1.36.
- Robinson, O. C., & Wright, G. R. T. (2013). The prevalence, types and perceived outcomes of crisis episodes in early adulthood and midlife: A structured retrospective-autobiographical study. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 37, 407–416. https://doi.org/10.1177/0165025413492464.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Saha, A., & Ahuja, S. (2017). Critical existential thinking, search for meaning and life satisfaction. Journal of Psychosocial Research, 12(1), 187–195 https://www.questia.com/library/journal/1P4–1926520170/critical-existential-thinking-search-for-meaning.Google Scholar
- Santrock, J. W. (2015). Life-span development (15th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Smith, J. A., Flowers, P., & Larkin, M. (2009). Interpretative phenomenological analysis: Theory, method and research. Thousand Oaks: Sage.Google Scholar
- U.S. Census Bureau. (2015) Comparative demographic estimates: 2015 American community survey 1-year estimates. http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=ACS_15_1YR_CP05&prodType=table. Accessed 21 June 2018