Oxidation and Hot Corrosion Performance of NiCoCrAlY Coatings Fabricated Via Electrolytic Codeposition
- 67 Downloads
The oxidation and hot corrosion performance of NiCoCrAlY coatings fabricated via electrolytic codeposition was investigated. The cyclic oxidation behavior of NiCoCrAlY coatings on Ni-based superalloys was evaluated at 1000 and 1100 °C. Preliminary Type I hot corrosion testing was conducted to assess the hot corrosion resistance of these coatings in a Dean rig with flowing O2 + 0.1% SO2 gas. NiAl coatings synthesized by a non-contact pack cementation method were included in the oxidation and corrosion tests for comparison. The NiAl coatings exhibited excellent oxidation resistance; however, they showed very poor hot corrosion performance at 900 °C. The electro-codeposited NiCoCrAlY coatings demonstrated good overall resistance to both cyclic oxidation and hot corrosion and also showed better chemical/microstructural compatibility with the superalloy substrates.
KeywordsMCrAlY coating Oxidation Hot corrosion Electro-codeposition Plating
The authors would like to thank GE Aviation and Rolls-Royce Corporation for supplying the superalloy substrates used in this study. The authors would also like to thank Jason Witman at Tennessee Technological University (TTU) for assistance with the experimental work. This research was financially supported by the Office of Naval Research through Grant No. N00014-14-1-0341 with Dr. David Shifler as the Technical Monitor.
- 2.J. H. Wood and E. H. Goldman, in Superalloys II, eds. C. T. Sims, N. S. Stoloff and W. C. Hagel (Wiley, New York, NY, 1987), p. 359.Google Scholar
- 16.V. Deodeshmukh and B. Gleeson, Corrosion 2006, 2006 (1).Google Scholar
- 19.R. Darolia, D. F. Lahrman and R. D. Field, Superalloys 1988, 1988 (255).Google Scholar
- 20.Z. Mutasim, J. Kimmel, and W. Brentnall, in ASME 1998 International Gas Turbine and Aeroengine Congress and Exhibition. American Society of Mechanical Engineers (1998), pp. V005T12A005–V005T12A005.Google Scholar
- 40.J. E. Restall, Superalloys 1984, 1984 (721).Google Scholar
- 41.R. A. Neff, G. B. Katz, B. Nagaraj, R. Tarvin, in ASME Turbo Expo 2004: Power for Land, Sea, and Air. American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2004), pp. 1801–1811.Google Scholar