Evaluation of the Mechanical Properties of Naturally Grown Multilayered Oxides Formed on HCM12A Using Small Scale Mechanical Testing
- 393 Downloads
The microstructure and mechanical integrity of protective multilayered oxide films grown in liquid metal on F/M steel HCM12A was investigated utilizing Raman spectroscopy, nanoindentation and micro-cantilever testing methods. The Raman spectra showed a Fe3O4 outer layer and a Cr-rich spinel structure inner layer. The nanoindentation results showed a higher hardness value for the inner layer than for the outer layer. In addition, the hardness of the diffusion layer in between the inner layer and the bulk steel was measured. Quantitative fracture properties were obtained of the steel/oxide interface and within the oxide layers utilizing micro-cantilever testing. Furthermore the strength and elastic properties of the multilayered oxide film were measured and it was found that the porous structure in the inner Fe–Cr oxide limits the integrity of the steel/oxide interface.
KeywordsOxide coatings Raman Nanoindentation Micro-cantilever Fracture toughness
The Authors thank the NRC faculty development grant NRC-38-09-948 for providing funding for this work. This material is based upon work supported by the Department of Energy under Award Number DE-EE0005941 as well as the nuclear energy university program (NEUP). The authors would also like to thank Biomolecular Nanotechnology Center (BNC) at UC Berkeley for the use for the SEM/FIB facilities.
- 15.C. Kapsalis, G. Schmitt, R.Feser, B. Sagebiel, S. Wilmes, M. Macziek, New Investigations on Critical Wall Shear Stresses of CuNi Alloys in Natural and Artificial Seawater. EUROCORR (Stockholm 11).Google Scholar
- 17.G. Schmitt and M. Bakalli, Power Plant Chemistry 9, 2007 (89).Google Scholar
- 24.T. Mizuno and H. Niwa, Nuclear Technology 146, 2004 (155).Google Scholar
- 26.J. S. Zhang and N. Li, Nuclear Technology 144, 2003 (379).Google Scholar
- 35.J. Armitt, D. R. Holmes, M. I. Manning, D. B. Meadowcroft, and E. Metcalfe, The Spalling of Steam Grown Oxide from Superheater and Reheater Tube Steels, EPRI Report No. FP 686 (1978).Google Scholar
- 43.D.E.J. Armstrong. PFMC/FEMaS Conference Proceedings (2011).Google Scholar
- 50.B.D. Hosterman, Raman spectroscopic study of solid solution spinel oxides, PhD thesis, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2011.Google Scholar