A Study on Effect of Reactive and Rare Earth Element Additions on the Oxidation Behavior of Mo–Si–B System
- 505 Downloads
Mo–9Si–8B–1Ti, Mo–9Si–8B–1.8Ti, Mo–9Si–8B–0.2La and Mo–9Si–8B–0.4La2O3 (at.%) alloys were prepared using mechanical alloying followed by hot isostatic pressing and field assisted sintering. XRD, SEM and EBSD analysis confirmed the formation of Mo solid solution, A15 and T2 phases in the alloys. Isothermal oxidation behavior of the specimens was studied in the temperature range from 750 to 1,300 °C for up to 100 h. Both the Ti and La containing alloys showed superior oxidation behavior compared to unalloyed Mo–Si–B at 900 °C at the initial periods of oxidation. Ti-added alloys suffered higher rate of weight loss at higher temperatures (1,000–1,300 °C) due to the formation of non-protective low viscosity SiO2-TiO2-B2O3 scale. La-alloyed Mo–Si–B showed superior oxidation resistance at intermediate temperatures (900 °C) as well as at higher temperatures. Enrichment of La at the oxide/alloy interface was found to be the reason for improved oxidation behavior of La-alloyed Mo–Si–B. Amongst the four materials studied, the La2O3 containing alloy showed the best oxidation resistance at 900 °C.
KeywordsMo–Si–B system Catastrophic oxidation Micro-alloying Reactive and rare earth elements
S. Majumdar wishes to thank Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Bonn for financial support of the research stay at Siegen. The research support by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) within the framework of the research unit 727 “Beyond Ni-Base Superalloys” is gratefully acknowledged.
- 2.M. Heilmaier, M. Kruger, H. Saage, J. Rosler, D. Mukherji, U. Glatzel, R. Volkl, R. Huttner, G. Eggeler, Ch Somsen, T. Depka, H.-J. Christ, B. Gorr and S. Burk, Journal of Metals 67, 2009 (61).Google Scholar
- 3.E. W. Lee, J. Cook, A. Khan, R. Mahapatra and J. Waldman, Journal of Metals 43, 1991 (54).Google Scholar
- 7.D. L. Anton and M. M. Shah, “High temperature properties of refractory intermetallics”, Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings 213, 1991, pp. 733–739.Google Scholar
- 17.D. P. Whittle and J. Stringer, Philosophical Transactions of Royal Society London 295, 1980 (309).Google Scholar
- 18.M. G. Hebsur and J. R. Stephens, U. S. Patent No. 4,983,358 (8 January 1991).Google Scholar
- 21.H. Okamoto, Desk Handbook-Phase Diagrams for Binary Alloys, ASM International, 2000.Google Scholar