Influence of Montmorillonite on Nucleotide Oligomerization Reactions: A Molecular Dynamics Study
- 287 Downloads
We investigate a proposed origins of life scenario involving the clay montmorillonite and its catalytic role in forming oligonucleotides from activated mononucleotides. Clay and mineral surfaces are important for concentrating the reactants and for promoting nucleotide polymerization reactions. Using classical molecular dynamics methods we provide atomic details of reactant conformations prior to polynucleotide formation, lending insight into previously reported experimental observations of this phenomenon. The simulations clarify the catalytic role of metal ions, demonstrate that reactions leading to correct linkages take place primarily in the interlayer, and explain the observed sequence selectivity in the elongation of the chain. The study comparing reaction probabilities involving L- and D-chiral forms of the reactants has found enhancement of homochiral over heterochiral products when catalyzed by montmorillonite.
KeywordsRNA world Prebiotic chemistry Polynucleotide Catalysis Molecular dynamics Clay
This work was funded by NSF-FIBR # SBCSF0526747. Some simulations were performed at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications and the Texas Advanced Computing Center through Teragrid LRAC# TG-MCA03S027 and through the U of I School of Chemical Sciences computational resource through NSF CRIF 05-41659. We wish to thank members of the Luthey–Schulten group for helpful discussions.
- Allen M, Tildesley D (1987) Computer simulation of liquids. Clarendon Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Cramer C (2004) Essentials of computational chemistry, 2nd edn. John Wiley and SonsGoogle Scholar
- Ertem G, Snellinger-O’Brien A, Ertem M, Rogoff D, Dworkin J, Murray MJ, Hazen R (2008) Abiotic formation of RNA-like oligomers by montmorillonite catalysis: part II. Astrobiology 7:1–7Google Scholar
- Gesteland RF, Cech TR, Atkins JF (eds) (2006) The RNA world, 3rd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, chap 2Google Scholar
- Keizer J (1987) Statistical thermodynamics of nonequilibrium processes. SpringerGoogle Scholar
- MacKerell AD Jr, Bashford D, Bellott M, Dunbrack Jr R, Evanseck J, Field M, Fischer S, Gao J, Guo H, Ha S, Joseph-McCarthy D, Kuchnir L, Kuczera K, Lau F, Mattos C, Michnick S, Ngo T, Nguyen D, Prodhom B, Reiher W III, Roux B, Schlenkrich M, Smith J, Stote R, Straub J, Watanabe M, Wiorkiewicz-Kuczera J, Yin D, Karplus M (1998) All-atom empirical potential for molecular modeling and dynamics studies of proteins. J Phys Chem B 102:3586–3616CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Russell MJ (2008) Inorganic complexes enabled the onset of life and oxygenic photosynthesis. In: Allen JF, Gantt E, Golbeck JH, Osmond B (eds) Energy from the Sun. In: 14th International Congress on Photosynthesis, Glasgow, ScotlandGoogle Scholar