Toward Homochiral Protocells in Noncatalytic Peptide Systems
- 167 Downloads
The activation-polymerization-epimerization-depolymerization (APED) model of Plasson et al. has recently been proposed as a mechanism for the evolution of homochirality on prebiotic Earth. The dynamics of the APED model in two-dimensional spatially-extended systems is investigated for various realistic reaction parameters. It is found that the APED system allows for the formation of isolated homochiral proto-domains surrounded by a racemate. A diffusive slowdown of the APED network induced, for example, through tidal motion or evaporating pools and lagoons leads to the stabilization of homochiral bounded structures as expected in the first self-assembled protocells.
KeywordsHomochirality Prebiotic chemistry Abiogenesis Protometabolism Proto-cells
This work was supported in part by a National Science Foundation Grant PHY-0757124. We thank R. Plasson and Axel Brandenburg for many interesting suggestions and comments. SW thanks NORDITA in Stockholm for their kind hospitality during the initial stages of this work.
- Boiteau L, et al (2001) Molecular origins of life: peptide prebiotic emergence and evolution through a permanent, cyclic molecular engine (the primary pump). Influence on the emergence of homochirality. In: Proc. first Eur. workshop on Exo-/Astro-biology, vol. 305.Google Scholar
- Bonner W-A (1996) The quest for chirality. In: Cline DD (ed) Physical origin of homochirality in life, Santa Monica, California, February 1995. AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 379. AIP,New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Cotterill R (2002) Biophysics: an introduction, J. Wiley, ChichesterGoogle Scholar
- Gleiser M, Thorarinson J, Walker S-I (2008) Punctuated chirality. Orig Life Evol Biosph. arXiv:astro-ph/0802.1446
- Gunton J-D, San Miguel M, Sahni P-S (1983) In: Domb C, Lebowitz JL (eds) Phase transitions and critical phenomena, vol 8. Academic, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Langer J-S (1992) An introduction to the kinetics of first-order phase transitions. In: Godrèche C (ed) Solids far from equilibrium. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Plasson R, Bersini H (2008) Energetic and entropic analysis of mirror symmetry breaking process in recycled micro-reversible chemical system. arXiv:q-bio/0804.4834