Intramolecular RNA replicase: Possibly the first self-replicating molecule in the RNA world
- 229 Downloads
Although there is more and more evidence suggested the existence of an RNA World during the origin of life, the scenario concerning the origin of the RNA World remains blurry. Usually it is speculated that it originated from a prebiotic nucleotide pool, during which a self-replicating RNA synthesis ribozyme may have emerged as the first ribozyme – the RNA replicase. However, there is yet no ersuasive supposition for the mechanism for the self-favouring feature of the replicase, thus the speculation remains unconvincing. Here we suggest that intramolecular catalysis is a possible solution. Two RNA synthesis ribozymes may be integrated into one RNA molecule, as two functional domains which could catalyze the copy of each other. Thus the RNA molecule could self-replicate and be referred to as “intramolecular replicase“ here. Computational simulation to get insight into the dynamic mechanism of emergence of the intramolecular replicase from a nucleotide pool is valuable and would be included in a following work of our group.
Keywordsintramolecular catalysis molecular evolution origin of life RNA replicase RNA World
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bartel, D. P.: 1999, Re-Creating an RNA Replicase, in R. F. Gesteland, T. R. Cech, and J. F. Atkins (eds), The RNA World. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York, pp. 143–162Google Scholar
- Hammann, C. and Lilley, D. M. J.: 2002, Folding and Activity of the Hammerhead Ribozyme, Chembiochem. 3, 691–700.Google Scholar
- Joyce, G. F. and Orgel, L. E.: 1999, Prospects for Understanding the Origin of the RNA World. in R. F. Gesteland, T. R. Cech and J. F. Atkins (eds), The RNA World. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York, pp. 49–77Google Scholar
- Miller, S. L.: 1998, The Endogenous Synthesis of Organic Compound, in Brack, A. (ed), The Molecular Origins of Life: Assembling Pieces of the Puzzle. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 59–85Google Scholar
- Schwartz, A. W.: 1998, Origins of the RNA World, in A. Brack (ed), The Molecular Origins of Life: Assembling Pieces of the Puzzle. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 237–254Google Scholar