Comparing Dushnik-Miller Dimension, Boolean Dimension and Local Dimension
The original notion of dimension for posets is due to Dushnik and Miller and has been studied extensively in the literature. Quite recently, there has been considerable interest in two variations of dimension known as Boolean dimension and local dimension. For a poset P, the Boolean dimension of P and the local dimension of P are both bounded from above by the dimension of P and can be considerably less. Our primary goal will be to study analogies and contrasts among these three parameters. As one example, it is known that the dimension of a poset is bounded as a function of its height and the tree-width of its cover graph. The Boolean dimension of a poset is bounded in terms of the tree-width of its cover graph, independent of its height. We show that the local dimension of a poset cannot be bounded in terms of the tree-width of its cover graph, independent of height. We also prove that the local dimension of a poset is bounded in terms of the path-width of its cover graph. In several of our results, Ramsey theoretic methods will be applied.
KeywordsDimension Boolean dimension Local dimension Tree-width Path-width Ramsey theory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Our work has benefited considerably through collaboration, and a touch of competition, with our colleagues Stefan Felsner, Gwenaël Joret, Tamás Mészáros, Piotr Micek and Bartosz Walczak. Smith was supported in part by NSF-DMS grant 1344199.
- 3.Bosek, B., Grytczuk, J., Trotter, W.T.: Local dimension is unbounded for planar posets. arXiv:1712.06099
- 7.Felsner, S., Mészáros, T., Micek, P.: Boolean dimension and Tree-width. arXiv:1707.06114
- 9.Gambosi, G., Nešetřil, J., Talamo, M.: Posets, Boolean representations and quick path searching. In: Automata, Languages and Programming, 14th International Colloquium, ICALP87, Proceedings, Lecture Note Series in Computer Science, vol. 267, pp 404–424 (1987)Google Scholar
- 16.Joret, G., Micek, P., Ossona de Mendez, P., Wiechert, V.: Nowhere dense graph classes and dimension. arXiv:1708.05424
- 20.Kim, J., Martin, R.R., Masařík, T., Shull, W., Smith, H., Uzzell, A., Wang, Z.: On difference graphs and the local dimension of posets. arXiv:1803.08641
- 21.Kimble, R.J.: Extremal Problems in Dimension Theory for Partially Ordered Sets, Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1973)Google Scholar
- 22.Kimble, R.J.: Personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- 24.Kozik, J., Krawczyk, T., Micek, P., Trotter, W.T.: Personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- 25.Mészáros, T., Micek, P., Trotter, W.T.: Boolean dimension, components and blocks. arXiv:1801.00288
- 26.Micek, P., Walczak, B.: Personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- 37.Ueckerdt, T.: Personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- 38.Trotter, W.T., Walczak, B., Wang, R.: Dimension and Cut Vertices: An Application of Ramsey Theory, Connections in Discrete Mathematics. In: Butler, S. et al. (eds.) , pp 187–199. Cambridge University Press (2018)Google Scholar