Effects of growth temperatures on the structural and optoelectronic properties of sputtered zinc sulfide thin films for solar cell applications
- 52 Downloads
The role of various substrate temperatures on the structural and optoelectronic properties of sputtered zinc sulfide (ZnS) thin films has been investigated in this work. The study of prepared film characterization has been done by XRD, AFM, UV–Vis spectrometry and Hall-effect measurement analysis. XRD patterns of the room temperature grown films reveal an amorphous nature, while the films deposited at 100 °C, 200 °C. 300 °C and 400 °C are found to be polycrystalline having the (111) preferential orientation. The optical bandgap values are found in the range of 3.18–3.61 eV depending on the substrate temperatures. The bulk and surface carrier densities are found in the order of 1012 cm−3 and 107 cm−3, respectively. The growth temperatures are also observed to have a significant effect on the electrical characteristic of the deposited films.
KeywordsZinc Sulfide Sputtering Substrate temperature Buffer layer Solar cell application
The authors wish to express the deepest appreciation to the Ministry of Education Malaysia for the support through FRGS grant with the code of FRGS/1/2018/TK05/UNITEN/02/1. Authors would also like to acknowledge the contribution of the Universiti Tenaga Nasional (@The National Energy University) of Malaysia for their contribution through BOLD2025 Program. Gratitude is also attributed to the Center for Integrated Systems Engineering and Advanced Technologies (INTEGRA) of The National University of Malaysia (@UKM) for other supports.
- Eid, A.H., Salim, S., Sedik, M.B., Abd Elkader, O., Dahy, T., Abouelkhair, H.: Preparation and characterization of ZnS thin films. J. Appl. Sci. Res. 6, 777–784 (2010)Google Scholar
- Haque, F., Rahman, K.S., Islam, M.A., Chelvanathan, P., Chowdhury, T.H., Alam, M.M., et al: A comparative study on ZnS thin films grown by thermal evaporation and magnetron sputtering. In: 2013 IEEE Student Conference on Research and Developement. pp. 260–264 (2013)Google Scholar
- Haque, F., Khan, N.A., Rahman, K.S., Islam, M., Alam, D.M.M., Sopian, K., et al.: Prospects of zinc sulphide as an alternative buffer layer for CZTS solar cells from numerical analysis. In: 8th International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering. pp. 504–507 (2014a)Google Scholar
- Haque, F., Rahman, K.S., Islam, M.A., Rashid, M.J., Akhtaruzzaman, M., Alam, M.M., et al.: Growth optimization of ZnS thin films by RF magnetron sputtering as prospective buffer layer in thin film solar cells. Chalcogenide Lett. 11, 189–197 (2014b)Google Scholar
- Islam MA, Hossain MS, Aliyu MM, Husna J, Karim MR, Sopian K, et al.: Effects of thermal annealing on structural and optical properties of sputtered CdS thin films for photovoltaic application. In: 2012 38th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, pp. 000151-5 (2012a)Google Scholar
- Islam, M.A., Hossain, M.S., Aliyu, M.M., Sulaiman, Y., Karim, M.R., Sopian, K. et al.: Comparative study of ZnS thin films grown by chemical bath deposition and magnetron sputtering. In: 2012 7th International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, pp. 86–89 (2012b)Google Scholar
- Rahman, K.S., Haque, F., Khan, N.A., Islam, M., Alam, M.M., Alothman, Z., et al.: Effect Of CdCl2 treatment on thermally evaporated CdTe thin films. Chalcogenide Lett. 11, 129–139 (2014)Google Scholar
- Zhuk, S., Kushwaha, A., Wong, T.K.S., Masudy-Panah, S., Smirnov, A., Dalapati, G.K.: Critical review on sputter-deposited Cu2ZnSnS4 (CZTS) based thin film photovoltaic technology focusing on device architecture and absorber quality on the solar cells performance. Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells 171, 239–252 (2017)CrossRefGoogle Scholar