Optical behavior and TL kinetics of Eu3+ and Tb3+ doped zirconate thermoluminescent phosphors
- 16 Downloads
The influence of Tb3+ and Eu3+ ions on the optical behavior and TL kinetics of the synthesized phosphors were analyzed here. The AZrO3 (A = Ca, Ba, Sr) phosphors activated with Eu3+ and Tb3+ ions were prepared using solid state reaction technique. The doping concentration of Eu3+ and Tb3+ ions is varied from 0 to 2 mol% for each. The PXRD analysis is done to study various crystallographic aspects of synthesized phosphors. It confirms the crystalline structure, phase purity and homogeneity of synthesized phosphors. The FESEM and TEM analyses show formation of particles with irregular shape and variable dimensions. The agglomeration of these particles is a resultant of prolonged heat treatments involved in solid state reaction method at elevated temperatures. The study of TL spectra of UV and gamma irradiated phosphors set forth their second order kinetics. The electrons were trapped in trap centers with high trap depth and hence high amount of energy (~ 3 eV) is required to vacate them. The doping of trivalent rare earth impurity ions in the perovskite host lattice leads to formation of these traps centers. With enhanced TL intensity and low fading characteristics, these phosphors are suitable alternatives for TL mapping and sensing applications.
KeywordsPerovskites Thermoluminscence Trap depth Activation energy Order of kinetics
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Eeckhout, K.V.D., Bos, A.J.J., Poelman, D., Smet, P.F.: Revealing trap depth distributions in persistent phosphors. Phys. Rev. B 87, 045126 (2013)Google Scholar
- Horowitz, Y.S., Yossian, D.: Computerised glow curve deconvolution: application to thermoluminescence dosimetry Radiat. Prot. Dosim. 60, 293–295 (1995)Google Scholar
- Katyayan, S., Agrawal, S.: Structural Investigation of RE doped CZO Perovskites. Optical Society of America, paper Th3A.82 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1364/PHOTONICS.2016.Th3A.82
- Katyayan, S., Agrawal, S.: Investigation of spectral properties of Eu3+ and Tb3+ doped strontium zirconium trioxide orthorhombic perovskite for optical and sensing applications. J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Electron. 28(24), 18442–18454 (2017b). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10854-017-7791-8 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liu, X., Zhang, J., Ma, X., Sheng, H., Feng, P., Shi, L., Hu, R., Wang, Y.: Violet–blue up conversion photostimulated luminescence properties and first principles calculations of a novel un-doped CaZrO3 phosphor for application in optical storage. J. Alloys Compd. 550, 451–458 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McKeever, S.W.S.: Thermoluminescence of Solids (Cambridge Solid State Science Series). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1988)Google Scholar
- Sun, D., Li, D., Zhu, Z., Xiao, J.: Tao Z and LiuW, Photoluminescence properties of europium and titanium codoped BaZrO3 phosphors powders synthesized by the solid state reaction method Opt. Mater. 34, 1890–1896 (2012)Google Scholar