Digital signal processing in coupled photonic crystal waveguides and its application to an all-optical AND logic gate
- 39 Downloads
The realization of all-optical AND logic gates for pulsed signal operation based on the photonic bandgap transmission phenomenon is proposed. We are using realistic planar air-hole type coupled photonic crystal waveguides (C-PCWs) with Kerr-type nonlinear background medium. The novelty of our analysis is that the proposed AND logic gate operates with the temporal solitons, which maintain a stable envelope propagating in the nonlinear C-PCWs, enabling true ultrafast full-optical digital signal processing in the time-domain. The bandgap transmission takes place when the operating frequency is chosen at the very edge of the dispersion curve of one of the supermodes in the C-PCWs. In this regard, our original fast and accurate method is used to efficiently calculate the supermodes of the C-PCW system. The underlying semi-analytical full-wave modal analysis is based on the evaluation of the lattice sums for complex wavenumbers using the transition-matrix method in combination with the generalized reflection-matrix approach. As a proof of concept successful pulse operation of the all-optical AND logic gate is demonstrated in the framework of extensive full-wave finite-difference time-domain electromagnetics analysis.
KeywordsPhotonic crystals Waveguides Electromagnetic optics Temporal solitons
Regarding the activities centered around the rigorous full-wave analysis of multilayered scatterer configurations D. E. kindly acknowledges the support of the DFG CRC/TRR 196 in the framework of sub-project M03. V. J. kindly acknowledges financial support from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. V. J and R. Kh. kindly acknowledge financial support from Shota Rustaveli National Science Foundation (Grant 216662) and Science and Technology Center in Ukraine (Grant 6303).
- Baccarelli, P., Jandieri, V., Valerio, G., Schettini, G.: Efficient computation of the lattice sums for leaky waves using the Ewald method. In: Proceedings of the 11-th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Paris, France, 19–24 March, pp. 3222–3223 (2017)Google Scholar
- Jandieri, V., Baccarelli, P., Valerio, G., Schettini, G.: 1-D Periodic lattice sums for complex and leaky waves in 2-D structures using higher-order Ewald formulation. In: IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation. (in press)Google Scholar
- Jandieri, V., Baccarelli, P., Ponti, C., Schettini, G.: Full-wave analysis of leaky modes in 2-D EBG waveguides. In: Proceedings of the 11-th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Paris, France, 19–24 March, pp. 3224-3225 (2017b)Google Scholar
- Jandieri, V., Baccarelli, P., Valerio, G., Ceccuzzi, S., Ponti, C., Schettini, G.: Efficient and rigorous analysis of leaky modes in 2-D EBG guiding structures. Proceedings of the 19-th International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, Verona, Italy, 11–15 September, pp. 444–445 (2017c)Google Scholar
- Jandieri, V., Khomeriki, R., Erni, D., Chew, W. C.: All-optical digital amplification in nonlinear photonic crystal waveguides. In: Proceedings of XXVI Int. Workshop on Optical Waveguide Theory and Numerical Modeling (OWTNM 2018), April 13–14, Session O-6: ‘Nonlinear Photonics’, paper O-6.3, 52, Bad Sassendorf, Germany (2018b)Google Scholar
- Jandieri, V., Khomeriki, R., Erni, D.: Realization of true all-optical AND logic gate based on nonlinear coupled air-hole type photonic crystal waveguides. In: Proceedings of the 12th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2018), April 9–13, London, UK, Session CS40: ‘Electromagnetic methods for direct and inverse scattering involving stratified media’, paper CS40.2 (2018c)Google Scholar
- Kappeler, R.: Reducing the propagation losses of slab photonic crystal waveguides for active photonic devices. Diss. ETH Zürich, No. 20485, Zürich, July, (2012)Google Scholar