Adiabatic transfer of surface plasmons in non-Hermitian graphene waveguides
- 134 Downloads
We investigate the energy transfer of surface plasmon polaritons (SPPs) based on adiabatic passage in a non-Hermitian waveguide composed of three coupled graphene sheets. The SPPs can completely transfer between two outer waveguides via the adiabatic dark mode as the waveguides are lossless and the coupling length is long enough. However, the loss of graphene can lead to breakdown of adiabatic transfer schemes. By utilizing the coupled mode theory, we propose three approaches to cancel the nonadiabatic coupling by adding certain gain or loss in respect waveguides. Moreover, the coupling length of waveguide is remarkably decreased. The study may find interesting application in optical switches on a deep-subwavelength scale.
KeywordsWaveguides Subwavelength structures Plasmonics
Program for Distinguished Middle-aged and Young Innovative Research Team in Higher Education of Hubei, China (T201806), the Campus Science Foundation Research Project of Wuhan Institute of Technology (K201821).
- Huang, Z., Wang, L., Sun, B., He, M., Liu, J., Li, H., Zhai, X.: A mid-infrared fast-tunable graphene ring resonator based on guided-plasmonic wave resonance on a curved graphene surface. J. Opt. 16(105004), 1–7 (2014)Google Scholar
- Li, G., Chen, G., Peng, P., Qi, W.: Non-Hermitian shortcut to adiabaticity of two- and three-level systems with gain and loss. Eur. Phys. J. D 71(14), 1–10 (2017)Google Scholar
- Ni, G.X., Wang, L., Goldflam, M.D., Wagner, M., Fe, Z., McLeo, A.S., Liu, M.K., Keilman, F., Özyilmaz, B., Castro Neto, A.H., Hone, J., Fogler, M.M., Basov, D.N.: Ultrafast optical switching of infrared plasmon polaritons in high-mobility graphene. Nat. Photon. 10, 244–247 (2016)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Qin, C., Wang, B., Long, H., Wang, K., Lu, P.: Nonreciprocal phase shift and mode modulation in dynamic graphene waveguides. J. Lightwave Technol. 34(16), 3877–3883 (2016)Google Scholar
- Wang, F., Qin, C.Z., Wang, B., Long, H., Wang, K., Lu, P.X.: Rabi oscillations of plasmonic supermodes in graphene multilayer arrays. IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quant. 23(1), 4600105 (2017a)Google Scholar