Single photon two-level atom interactions in 1-D dielectric waveguide: quantum mechanical formalism and applications
- 135 Downloads
In this paper, we propose an effective model to describe the interactions between a two-level atom and scattered light in a 1-D dielectric waveguide. The proposed formalism allows us to incorporate the effect of changing optical media inside the continuum while demonstrating a non-classical derivation of Fresnel Law. We obtain the transport characteristics of the two-level system, explore its high-Q bandreject filter property and discuss the implications of radiative and non-radiative dissipation. In addition, we apply our formalism to a modified Fabry–Pérot interferometer and show the variation in its spontaneous emission characteristics with changing interferometer length. Finally, we conclude with further remarks on the link between the waveguide and cavity quantum electrodynamics.
KeywordsSingle photon scattering 1D dielectric waveguide Fabry–Perot interferometer Atom–light interactions
The authors would like thank Professor Ataç İmamoğlu for intellectually stimulating discussions, Professor Teoman Turgut for insightful comments on the manuscript and Professor Şükrü Ekin Kocabaş for inspiration and guidance on the modified Fabry–Pérot interferometer study.
- Dinç, F., Ercan, I.: Quantum mechanical treatment of two-level atoms coupled to continuum with an ultraviolet cutoff. J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 51(35), 355301 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1088/1751-8121/aad165
- Dutra, S.M.: Cavity Quantum Electrodynamics: The Strange Theory of Light in a Box. Wiley, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- Griffiths, D.J.: Introduction to Electrodynamics. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (1962)Google Scholar
- Kittel, C., McEuen, P.: Introduction to Solid State Physics. Wiley, New York (2015)Google Scholar
- Mu-Tian, C., Meng-Ting, D., Yan-Yan, S., Ya-Qin, L.: Single-photon transmission characteristics in a pair of coupled-resonator waveguides linked by a nanocavity containing a quantum emitter. Chin. Phys. Lett. 30(5), 054202 (2013). http://stacks.iop.org/0256-307X/30/i=5/a=054202
- Rephaeli, E., Fan, S.: Dissipation in few-photon waveguide transport. Photon. Res. 1(3), 110–114 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1364/PRJ.1.000110. http://www.osapublishing.org/prj/abstract.cfm?URI=prj-1-3-110
- Schwartz, M.D.: Quantum field Theory and the Standard Model. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2014)Google Scholar
- Zang, X., Jiang, C.: Single-photon transport properties in a waveguidecavity system. J. Phys. B At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 43(6), 065505 (2010). http://stacks.iop.org/0953-4075/43/i=6/a=065505