Dark current transport mechanism associated with acceptor concentration in GaAs-based blocked-impurity-band (BIB) detectors
- 79 Downloads
Dark current transport mechanism associated with acceptor concentration in GaAs-based blocked-impurity-band (BIB) detectors has been investigated. Device structure, numerical models and simulation techniques are described in detail. By careful model and parameter calibration, the numerical simulation is completely consistent with the analytical calculation, proving the validity of simulation methods. Our results reveals that the carrier-transport modes of GaAs-based BIB detectors can be classified into two categories (i.e., electron current and hopping current), and the hopping current can be neglected compared with the electron current. Besides, it is demonstrated that the dark current of GaAs-based BIB detector is dominated by the drift–diffusion current and the generation-recombination current, and the both current components are monotonically decreasing functions of the acceptor concentration.
KeywordsGaAs Blocked-impurity-band (BIB) Blocking layer Absorption layer Dark current Spectral response
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 61404120 and 61705201), Shanghai Rising-Star Program (Grant No. 17QB1403900), and Shanghai Sailing Program (Grant No. 17YF1418100).
- Cardozo, B.L.: GaAs blocked-impurity-band detectors for far-infrared astronomy. Doctoral thesis, University of California, Berkeley (2004)Google Scholar
- Reichertz, L.A., Cardozo, B.L., Beeman, J.W., Larsen, D.I., Tschanz, S., Jakob, G., Katterloher, R., Haegel, N.M., Haller, E.E.: First results on GaAs blocked impurity band (BIB) structures for far-infrared detector arrays. In: Proceedings of SPIE, vol. 5883, p. 58830Q (2005)Google Scholar
- Reichertz, L.A. Beeman, J.W., Cardozo, B.L., Jakob, G., Katterloher, R., Haegel, N.M., Haller, E.E.: Development of a GaAs based BIB detector for sub-mm wavelengths. In: Proceedings of SPIE, vol. 6275, p. 62751S (2006)Google Scholar
- Siegel, P.H.: Terahertz technology. Nature 50, 910–928 (2002)Google Scholar
- Wang, X., Hu, W., Chen, X., Xu, J., Wang, L., Li, X., Lu, W.: Dependence of dark current and photoresponse characteristics on polarization charge density for GaN-based avalanche photodiodes. J. Phys. D Appl. Phys. 44, 405102-1–405102-11 (2011)Google Scholar