Improved design for SOI based evanescently coupled multilayer spot-size converter
- 161 Downloads
We report an improved version of a spot-size converter (SSC) consisting of a silicon nanowire evanescently coupled to a phase-matched Poly-Si multilayer structure. With wider transversal dimensions the multilayer structure expands the mode significantly thus increasing the coupling efficiency with the conventional single-mode fiber. Detailed optimization process of a 17-layer based SSC is discussed and its coupling efficiency with a high-NA fiber of radius 2 μm is obtained as 98% providing only 0.087 dB loss. Vertical alignment tolerance between the optimized SSC and a high-NA fiber of radius 2 μm is also shown. This novel design does not consist of a taper and can be fabricated by using CMOS compatible process. It has a short device length and more relaxed alignment tolerances with the fiber. Full-vectorial and computationally efficient finite element method and the least squares boundary residual method have been used for the analysis and optimization of the proposed structure.
KeywordsSpot-size converter Multilayers Integrated optics Silicon photonics
Niharika Kohli would like to acknowledge Erasmus Mundus INTACT, University Grants Commission, India and University of Delhi for the financial support.
- Ghatak, A., Thyagarajan, K.: Optical Electronics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1991)Google Scholar
- Jiang, W., Kohli, N., Sun, X., Rahman, B.M.A.: Multi-poly-silicon-layer based spot-size converter for efficient coupling between silicon waveguide and standard single-mode fiber. IEEE Photon. J. 8, 1–12 (2016)Google Scholar
- Picard, M.J., Latrasse, C., Larouche, C., Painchaud, Y., Poulin, M., Pelletier, F., Guy, M.: CMOS-compatible spot-size converter for optical fiber to sub-μm silicon waveguide coupling with low-loss low-wavelength dependence and high tolerance to misalignment. Proc. SPIE 9752, 97520W (2016). doi: 10.1117/12.2208629 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rahman, B. M. A., Davies, J. B.: Vector-H finite element solution of GaAs GaAlAs rib waveguides. IEEE Proc. J. Optoelectron. 132, 349–353 (1985)Google Scholar
- Taillaert, D., Bogaerts, W., Bienstman, P., Krauss, T.F., Daele, P.V., Moerman, I., Verstuyft, S., Mesel, K.D., Baets, R.: An out-of-plane grating coupler for efficient butt-coupling between compact planar waveguides and single-mode fibers. IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 38, 949–955 (2002)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar