Multimode RNGH instabilities of Fabry-Pérot cavity QCLs: impact of diffusion
- 95 Downloads
We analyze multimode instabilities in Fabry-Pérot (FP) cavity MIR quantum cascade lasers (QCLs) caused by excitation of Rabi oscillations. Our analysis differs from previous treatments of this problem by inclusion of the grating of medium polarization (coherence grating) and its relaxation due to carrier diffusion. We show that low-threshold multimode Risken-Nummedal-Graham-Haken (RNGH) instabilities are possible in QCLs without a built-in saturable absorber, that is, in the configuration in which they have been experimentally observed. We also show that multimode RNGH instabilities are practically impossible in conventional VIS–NIR semiconductor quantum well laser diodes with a monolithic FP cavity. These explanations are supported by Lyapunov stability analysis and numerical simulations based on a travelling wave rate equation model.
KeywordsQuantum cascade laser Self-oscillations Multimode instabilities
The authors acknowledge support from Swiss National Science Foundation (project FASTIQ), Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development (Republic of Serbia), ev. no. III 45010, COST ACTIONs BM1205 and MP1204 as well as the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the grant agreement No 686731 (SUPERTWIN).
- Kravtsov, N.V., Lariontsev, E.G., Shelaev, A.N.: Oscillation regimes of ring solid-state lasers and possibilities for their stabilization. Laser Phys. 3, 21–62 (1993)Google Scholar
- Pantell, R.H., Puthoff, H.E.: Fundametals of quantum electronics. Willey, New York (1969)Google Scholar
- Piprek, J.: Semiconductor Optoelectronic Devices: Introduction to Physics and Simulation. Academic Press, San Diego (2003)Google Scholar
- Roldan, E., de Valcarcel, G.J., Prati, F., Mitschke, F., Voigt, T.: Multilongitudinal mode emission in ring cavity class B lasers. In: Gomez-Calderon, O., Guerra, J.M. (eds.) Trends in Spatiotemporal Dynamics in Lasers. Instabilities, Polarization Dynamics, and Spatial Structures, pp. 1–80. Research Signpost, Trivandrum (2005). ISBN: 81-7736-235-6 Google Scholar
- Vukovic, N., Radovanovic, J., Milanovic, V., Boiko, D.L.: Low-threshold RNGH instabilities in quantum cascade lasers, arXiv:1601.03212 [cond-mat.mes-hall], (2016)