Circuit model of uni-traveling carrier photodiode with high power and enhanced bandwidth technique
- 177 Downloads
An electrical equivalent circuit model of InGaAs/InP uni-travelling carrier photodiode (UTC-PD) is presented. The model is suitable to be built on any electrical circuit simulator to optimize the design parameters of the device. Its performance in terms of bandwidth, linearity, third order inter-modulation distortion and output photo current are investigated. Simulation techniques to measure inter-modulation distortion products and linearity are given in detail. The result obtained by the modeling technique is validated through a comparison with the reported experimental results. It is shown that 3 dB cutoff frequency and output photocurrent can be substantially improved by inserting a small inductance in series with the load together with choosing an optimum absorption layer width in UTC-PD. This technique does not sacrifice the device linearity to a large extent.
KeywordsCircuit model Frequency response Photodiode Inter-modulation
The work is undertaken as part of Information Technology Research Academy (ITRA), Media Lab Asia project entitled “Mobile Broadband Service Support over Cognitive Radio Networks”.
- Hekkala, A., Lasanen, M., Harjula, I., Vieira, L.C., Gomes, N.J., Nkansah, A., Bittner, S., Diehm, F., Kotzsch, V.: Analysis of and compensation for non-ideal RoF links in DAS. IEEE Wirel. Commun. 10, 1284–1536 (2010)Google Scholar
- Ishibashi, T., Furuta, T., Fushimi, H., Kodama, S., Ito, H., Nagatsuma, T., Shimizu, N., Miyamoto, Y.: InP/InGaAs uni-traveling-carrier photodiodes. IEICE Trans. Electron. E83–C(6), 938–949 (2000)Google Scholar
- Kuo, F-M., Hsu, T-C., Shi, J-W.: Strong bandwidth-enhancement effect in high-speed GaAs/AlGaAs based uni-traveling carrier photodiode under small photocurrent and zero-bias operation. In: Proceedings of LEOS Annual Meeting, TuB3, Belec-Antalya, pp. 141–142 (2009)Google Scholar
- Lasaosa, D., Shi, J.-W., Pasquariello, D., Gan, K.-G., Tien, M.-C., Chang, H.-H., Chu, S.-W., Sun, C.-K., Chiu, Y.-J., Bowers, J.E.: Traveling-wave photodetectors with high power-bandwidth and gain-bandwidth product performance. IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron. 10(4), 728–741 (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Piprek, J., Pasquariello, D., Lasaosa, D., Bowers, J.E.: Novel waveguide photodetectors on InP with integrated light amplification. Proc. Electrochem. Soc. 2003(4), 1–8 (2003)Google Scholar
- Yao, J.: A tutorial on microwave photonics, Research Highlights. IEEE Photonics Soc. Newsl. 26, 5–12 (2012)Google Scholar