Self-consistent analysis of thermal far-field blooming of broad-area laser diodes
- 201 Downloads
High-power broad-area laser diodes often suffer from a widening of the lateral (slow axis) far-field with increasing current, called thermal blooming, which is mainly caused by the non-uniform self-heating of the laser and has been studied for several decades. This paper presents the first self-consistent electro-thermal-optical simulation and analysis of such thermal blooming. Using a real InGaAs/GaAs broad-area laser as an example, a 900A/cm2 higher current density is shown to lead to only 0.5K stronger lateral temperature drop inside the ridge waveguide but to a one degree wider slow axis far field. Small non-thermal blooming is also observed.
KeywordsHigh-power broad-area laser diode Thermal blooming Slow axis far field Self-heating Thermal lens Lateral laser modes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chin, A.K., Knapczyk, M.T., Jacob, J.H., Eppich, H., Lang, K.D., Chin, R.H.,Dogan, M.: Record CW-brightness from a single, 20% fill-factor, 1-cm laser-diode bar at 20°C. SPIE Proc. 7918, 79180L (2011)Google Scholar
- Crosslight Software, Inc., see www.crosslight.com (2012)
- Crump, P., Schultz, C.M., Pietrzak, A., Knigge, S., Brox, O., Maaßdorf, A.,Bugge, F., Wenzel, H., Erbert, G.: 975-nm high-power broad area diode lasers optimized for narrow spectral linewidth applications. SPIE Proc. 7583, 75830N (2010)Google Scholar
- Crump, P.: Ferdinand Braun Institute Berlin, Germany. Personal Communication (2012)Google Scholar
- Kressel H., Butler J.K.: Semiconductor Lasers and Heterojunction LEDs. Academic Press, New York (1977)Google Scholar
- Piprek J.: Semiconductor Optoelectronic Devices: Introduction to Physics and Simulation. Academic Press, San Diego (2003)Google Scholar
- Piprek, J.: Self-consistent electro-thermal-optical simulation of thermal blooming in broad-area lasers. 12th NUSOD Conf., Proc. pp. 119–120 (2012)Google Scholar
- Pomplun, J., Wenzel, H., Burger, S., Zschiedricha, L., Rozova, M., Schmidt, F., Crump, P., Ekhteraei, H., Schultz, C.M., Erbert, G.: Thermo-optical simulation of high-power diode lasers. Proc. SPIE 8255 (2012)Google Scholar
- Wenzel, H., Crump, P., Ekhteraei, H., Schultz, C., Pomplun, J., Burger, S., Zschiedrich, L., Schmidt, F., Erbert, G.: Theoretical and experimental analysis of the lateral modes of high-power broad-area lasers. 11th NUSOD Conf., Presentation WA2 (2011)Google Scholar
- Wenzel, H.: Ferdinand Braun Institute Berlin, Germany. Personal Communication (2012)Google Scholar
- Witzigmann, B.: University of Kassel, Germany. Personal Communication (2012)Google Scholar