Semiconductor nanomembranes for integrated silicon photonics and flexible Photonics
- 312 Downloads
Crystalline semiconductor nanomembranes (NMs), which are transferable, stackable, bondable and manufacturable, offer unprecedented opportunities for unique and novel device applications. We review here nanophotonic devices based on stacked semiconductor NMs on Si, glass and flexible PET substrates. Photonic crystal Fano resonance-based surface-normal optical filters and broadband reflectors have been demonstrated with unique angle and polarization properties. Flexible photodetectors and solar cells have also been developed based on the NM stacking processes. Such NM stacking process can lead to a paradigm shift on silicon photonic integration and hybrid organic/inorganic flexible photonics.
KeywordsPhotonic integration Photonic crystals Semiconductor nanomembranes Flexible photonics Silicon photonics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bowers J.E., Park H., Fang A.W., Cohen O., Jones R., Paniccia M.: Design and fabrication of optically pumped hybrid silicon-AlGaInAs evanescent lasers. IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quant. Electron. 12(2), 1657–1663 (2006)Google Scholar
- Kim D., Song J., Choi W., Kim H., Kim R., Liu Z., Huang Y., Hwang K., Zhang Y., Rogers J.: Materials and noncoplanar mesh designs for integrated circuits with linear elastic responses to extreme mechanical deformations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105(48), 18675–18680 (2008b)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rogers J., Bao Z., Baldwin K., Dodabalapur A., Crone B., Raju V., Kuck V., Katz H., Amundson K., Ewing J.: Paper-like electronic displays: large-area rubber-stamped plastic sheets of electronics and microencapsulated electrophoretic inks. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98(9), 4835–4840 (2001)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yuan, H.C., Roberts, M.M., Zhang, P., Park, B.N., Klein, L.J., Savage, D.E., Flack, F.S., Ma, Z., Evans, P.G., Eriksson, M.A.: Silicon-based nanomembrane materials: the ultimate in strain engineering. In: Digest of Papers 2005 Topical Meeting on Silicon Monolithic Integrated Circuits in RF Systems, pp. 327–333. (2005)Google Scholar
- Zhou, W., Ma, Z.: Semiconductor nanomembranes for stacked and flexible photonics (Invited). Paper presented at the Photonics West, San Jose (2010)Google Scholar