A performance study of a nonlinear all Fibre Michelson interferometer, add-drop multiplexer, based in Fibre Bragg grating mirrors
- 83 Downloads
In this paper we report a numerical investigation of an all-fibre narrowband transmission filter in the arrangement of two identical photo-imprinted Bragg gratings symmetrically located in each arm of a Michelson Interferometer, simulating, thus, an add-drop filter. The transmission characteristics and in addition the crosstalk level and extinction ratio, were studied. The coupled mode theory and the fourth-order Runge-Kutta method were applied, respectively, to solve the coupled differential equations. This is the first study, as far as we now, of the performance of this device considering the nonlinearity of the fibre coupler and linearity of the fibre Bragg gratings. The device is presenting a highly nonlinear behavior dependence in dephasing and pump power.
KeywordsAll fiber Michelson interferometer Add and drop multiplexer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agrawal G.P.: Applications of Nonlinear Fibre Optics. 1st edn. Academic Press, Boston (2001)Google Scholar
- Bates R.J.: Optical Switching and Networking Handbook. McGraw-Hill, New York (2001)Google Scholar
- Ilyas M., Mouftah H.T.: The Handbook of Optical Communication Networks. CRC Press, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- Kashyap, R.: A simplified approach to the Bragg grating based Michelson and the in-coupler Bragg grating add-drop multiplexer. In: Optical Fibre Communication Conference and the International Conference on Integrated Optics and Optical Fibre Communication. OFC/IOOC ’99, paper TuN3, vol. 1, pp. 196–198 (1999a)Google Scholar
- Kashyap R.: Fibre Bragg Gratings. Academic Press, London (1999b)Google Scholar
- Kawanishi, S.: 100 Gbit/s optical communication systems. In: Proc. OFC’96. San Jose, CA, pp. 136–137 (1996) invited paper WH5Google Scholar
- Morey, W.W.: Tunable narrow-line bandpass filter using fibre gratings. In: Proc. Conf. on Optical Fibre Communications. OFC ‘91, paper PD2O-1 (1991)Google Scholar
- Whalen M.S., Divino M.D., Alferness R.C.: Demonstration of a narrowband Bragg-reflection filter in a single-mode fibre directional coupler. Electron. Lett. 22(12), (1986). doi: 10.1049/el:19860465