Mode Amplification in Inhomogeneous QD Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers
- 44 Downloads
We present modelling results investigating the carrier dynamics of an SOA composed of an inhomogeneous array of quantum dots designed to produce broad gain amplification when optically pumped. We use a set of rate equations that describe the QDs inhomogeneity and include an energy dependent occupation factor within each inhomogeneously broadened level and numerically solve them with the propagation equation to investigate the amplification of optical signals in the waveguide. By treating the carrier filling according to the quasi-equilibrium distribution, we are able to investigate the effect of band-filling (BFE) on the gain and refractive index. The linewidth enhancement factor (α) is computed and analysed with respect to optical signal intensity as well as electrical current density.
Keywordslinewidth enhancement factor (α) semiconductor optical amplifiers (SOA) quantum dots (QDs)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Asada, M. Quantum Well Lasers, chapter 2: Intraband Relaxation Effect on Optical Spectra. Quantum Electronics – Principles and Applications, Academic Press, 1993.Google Scholar
- Chow, W.W., S. W. Koch and M. S. III. Semiconductor – Laser Physics, Springer, 1997.Google Scholar
- Mork, J., Nielsen M.L., and Berg T.M.,. The dynamics of semiconductor optical amplifiers : modeling and applications. Technical report, Optics & Photonics News, July 2003. Available as http://www.osa-opn.org/abstract.cfm?URI=OPN-14-7-42.Google Scholar
- Nakata, Y., Sugiyama Y., and Sugawara M.,. Semiconductors and Semimetals, volume 60, chapter 1: Theoretical Bases of the Optical Properties of Semiconductor Quantum Nano-Structures, Academic Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- Schneider H.C., Chow W.W., and Koch S.W. Phys Rev B 66 041310–1, 2002.Google Scholar
- Sugawara M., Ebe H., Hatori N., Ishida M., Arakawa Y., Akiyama T., Otsubo K., and Nakata Y.,. Phys. Rev. B 69 (235332)1, 2004.Google Scholar
- Wong, H.C., to be published. PhD thesis, University of Bristol, 2006.Google Scholar