Modelling of Photonic Wire Bragg Gratings
Some important properties of photonic wire Bragg grating structures have been investigated. The design, obtained as a generalisation of the full-width gap grating, has been modelled using 3D finite-difference time-domain simulations. Different types of stop-band have been observed. The impact of the grating geometry on the lowest order (longest wavelength) stop-band has been investigated – and has identified deeply indented configurations where reduction of the stop-bandwidth and of the reflectivity occurred. Our computational results have been substantially validated by an experimental demonstration of the fundamental stop-band of photonic wire Bragg gratings fabricated on silicon-on-insulator material. The accuracy of two distinct 2D computational models based on the effective index method has also been studied – because of their inherently much greater rapidity and consequent utility for approximate initial designs. A 2D plan-view model has been found to reproduce a large part of the essential features of the spectral response of full 3D models.
Keywordsfinite-difference time-domain optical waveguide modelling photonic crystal photonic wire silicon on insulator waveguide grating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bellanca G., Bassi P., Erbacci G. De Fabritiis G., Roccari R. Proceedings of the VII International Conference “Microwave and High Frequency Heating”, Valencia, 13–17 September 1999, 11, 1999.Google Scholar
- Chiang, K.S 1996IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques44692Google Scholar
- Čtyroký, J., Helfert, S., Pregla, R., Bienstman, P., Baets, R., Ridder, R., Stoffer, R., Klaasse, G., Petráček, J, Lalanne, P., Hugonin, J.P, Rue, R.M. 2002Opt. Quant. Electron.34455Google Scholar
- Han, Y.T, Shin, J.U., Kim, D.J., Park, S.H., Park, Y.J., Sun, H.K. 2003ETRI Journal25535Google Scholar
- Joannopoulos J.D, Meade R.D., Winn R.N. Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light 1995.Google Scholar
- Kimerling, L.C., Dal Negro, L., Saini, S., Yi, Y., Ahn, D., Akiyama, S., Cannon, D., Liu, J., Sandland, J.G., Sparacin, D., Michel, J., Wada, K., Watts, M.R. 2004Silicon Photonics9489Google Scholar
- Knox, R.M. and P.P. Toulios. Proceedings on Symposium on Submillimeter Waves, Brooklyn, 497, 1970.Google Scholar
- Palik, E.D. 1998Handbook of optical constants of solidsAcademic PressSan DiegoGoogle Scholar
- Taflove, A. 1995Computational electrodynamics – The Finite Difference Time-Domain MethodArtech HouseNorwoodGoogle Scholar
- Van Thourhout, D., P. Dumon, W. Bogaerts, G. Roelkens, D. Taillaert, G. Priem and R. Baets. Proceedings on 31st European Conference on Optical Communications (ECOC), Glasgow, 25–29 September 2005, 2, 241, 2005.Google Scholar