Deterministic global optimization of binary hybrid distillation/melt-crystallization processes based on relaxed MINLP formulations
- 335 Downloads
This paper deals with the deterministic global optimization of hybrid distillation/melt-crystallization processes for closely boiling mixtures. An algorithm is presented that exploits the problem specific structure of continuous, counter-current distillation to reduce the domain of the corresponding mixed-integer nonlinear program (MINLP). We apply a bound tightening technique based on the explicit computation of extreme column solution profiles, which enclose all possible solutions of the distillation column model. A relaxed MINLP model formulation is then used to exclude several non-optimal and infeasible column configurations. The numerical performance of the proposed algorithm is demonstrated on a test series of stand-alone distillation column processes and hybrid separation processes.
KeywordsDistillation Melt-crystallization Deterministic global optimization Relaxed MINLP formulation Bound tightening
This work is part of the Collaborative Research Centre “Integrated Chemical Processes in Liquid Multiphase Systems” funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG). Financial support by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) is gratefully acknowledged through TRR 63. Especially, the first and the fourth authors thank the DFG for its financial support. Main parts of the submitted version has been finished while the fourth author was at the Institute for Operations Research at ETH Zurich and financially supported by DFG (TRR 63).
- Achterberg T (2007) Constraint integer programming. Ph.D. thesis, Technische Universität BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Ballerstein M, Kienle A, Kunde C, Michaels D, Weismantel R (2011) Towards global optimization of combined distillation-crystallization processes for the separation of closely boiling mixtures. In: Pistikopoulos EN, Georgiadis MC, Kokossis AC (eds) 21th European symposium on computer aided process engineering—ESCAPE 21. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 552–556CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- GAMS Development Corp (2009) GAMS—the solver manuals. Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Henley EJ, Seader JD (1981) Equilibrium-stage separation operations in chemical engineering. Wiley, Wiley series in chemical engineering, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Khajavirad A, Sahidinidis NV (2011) Convex envelopes generated from finitely many compact convex sets. Math Programm A. doi: 10.1007/s10107-011-0496-5
- Micovic J, Beierling T, Ruether F, Kreis P, Górak A (2011) Hybrid separation processes for purification of close boiling mixtures in hydroformylation of long chain olefins. In: 8th European congress of chemical engineering (ECCE-8), September 25–29, ICC Berlin, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- Skiborowski M, Harwardt A, Marquardt W (2013) Conceptual design of distillation-based hybrid separation processes. Annu Rev Chem Biomol Eng. doi: 10.1146/annurev-chembioeng-061010-114129