Application of the Harmony Search optimization algorithm for the solution of the multiple dam system scheduling
- 872 Downloads
During the last few years Harmony Search Algorithm (HSA), a new optimization technique, has been used effectively in solving large scale problems. In this paper along with a brief presentation of HSA, an application on classic Dam Scheduling problem is presented. This application concerns the optimum operation of a four-reservoir system over 24 hours. The water released from each dam is used for hydropower generation and irrigation. The objective is to maximize the daily benefits gained from the reservoir system over 12 (two-hour) time steps.
Two programs were created in order to optimize this particular problem using Visual-Basic and MATLAB respectively. Both programs converged successfully to optimum management, and their main characteristics and results, are presented. The comparison between them reveals some interesting differences regarding their efficiency.
The purpose of this paper is to show the potential of HSA and prove its efficiency to optimize complex optimization problems successfully. Major findings of the present paper are the 15 different solutions leading to the same global optimum. These 15 variations of the optimum management practices comprise all possible solutions, as it is proven, and they are detected for the first time ever.
KeywordsDam scheduling Meta-heuristic algorithm Harmony search Hydro informatics Fitness landscape Global/local optimum
Harmony Search Algorithm
Harmony Memory Size
Maximum number of iterations
Harmony Memory Considering Rate
Pitch Adjusting Rate
- Chow VT, Cortes-Rivera (1974) Applications of DDDP in water resources planning, Research report 78, University of Illinois, Water Resources Center, Urbana Google Scholar
- Geem ZW (2006) Comparison harmony search with other meta-heuristics in water distribution network design. In: Water distribution systems analysis symposium 2006, Proceedings of the 8th annual water distribution systems analysis symposium, pp 1–9 Google Scholar
- Geem ZW (2007a) Harmony search algorithm for solving Sudoku. In: KES 2007, Part I. LNCS (LNAI), vol 4692, pp 371–378 Google Scholar
- Geem ZW (2007b) Optimal scheduling of multiple dam system using harmony search algorithm. In: Sandoval F et al. (ed) IWANN 2007. LNCS, vol 4507, pp 316–323 Google Scholar
- Geem ZW, Hwangbo H (2006) Application of harmony search to multi-objective optimization for satellite heat pipe design. In: Proceedings of 2006 US-Korea conference on science, technology & entrepreneurship (UKC 2006), pp 1–3 Google Scholar
- Geem ZW, Kim JH, Loganathan GV (2002) Harmony search optimization: application to pipe network design. Int J Model Simul 22(2):125–133 Google Scholar
- Kougias I, Theodossiou N (2010a) A new music-inspired harmony based optimization algorithm. Application in water resources management problems. In: International conference: protection and restoration of the environment X, pp 1–8 Google Scholar
- Kougias I, Theodossiou N (2010b) A new music-inspired harmony based optimization algorithm. Theory and applications. In: International conference on protection and restoration of the environment X, pp 1–8 Google Scholar
- Luke S (2009) Essentials of metaheuristics. Zeroth edn, pp 193–194 Google Scholar