Data assimilation in weather forecasting: a case study in PDE-constrained optimization
- 260 Downloads
Variational data assimilation is used at major weather prediction centers to produce the initial conditions for 7- to 10-day weather forecasts. This technique requires the solution of a very large data-fitting problem in which the major element is a set of partial differential equations that models the evolution of the atmosphere over a time window for which observational data has been gathered. Real-time solution of this difficult computational problem requires sophisticated models of atmospheric physics and dynamics, effective use of supercomputers, and specialized algorithms for optimization and linear algebra. The optimization algorithm can be accelerated by using a spectral preconditioner based on the Lanczos method. This paper shows how practical demands of the application dictate the various algorithmic choices that are made in the nonlinear optimization solver, with particular reference to the system in operation at the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts.
KeywordsWeather forecasting Variational assimilation PDE-constrained optimization Large-scale optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Biegler L, Waecther A (2003) DAE-constrained optimization. SIAG/OPT Views-and-News 14:10–15 Google Scholar
- Bock H-G, Plitt KJ (1984) A multiple shooting algorithm for direct solution of optimal control problems. In: Proceedings of the 9th IFAC world conference, Budapest, 1984. Pergamon, Elmsford, pp 242–247 Google Scholar
- Haltiner GJ, Williams R (1980) Numerical prediction and dynamic meteorology, 2nd edn. Wiley, New York Google Scholar
- Trémolet Y (2005) Incremental 4D-Var convergence study. Technical Memorandum 469, European Center for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts, July 2005 Google Scholar
- Young DP, Huffman WP, Melvin RG, Hilmes CL, Johnson FT (2002) Nonlinear elimination in aerodynamic analysis and design optimization. In: Proceedings of the first Sandia workshop on large-scale PDE constrained optimization. Lecture notes in computational science and engineering. Springer, Berlin Google Scholar