Asymptotic error of cubic B-spline interpolation using prefiltering
A popular class of reconstruction filters that are used in signal and image processing is based on cubic B-splines. One reason for their popularity is the fact that they can be efficiently implemented. This is specifically true with modern GPUs where cubic B-spline filtering can be implemented by means of linearly interpolating texture fetches so that the actual number of memory accesses can be significantly reduced. The curve obtained from filtering with the cubic B-spline does in general not interpolate the original data set. The latter can however be achieved by applying a prefiltering step that transforms the original data set. We study the asymptotic behavior of the reconstruction error of the cubic B-spline interpolation filter using a state of the art method that is based on a Taylor series expansion and that was carefully adjusted to accommodate the infinite support of this reconstruction filter.
KeywordsSplines Reconstruction Asymptotic error
- 1.Catmull, E., Rom, R.: A class of local interpolating splines. Computer Aided Geometric Design. Academic Press, pp. 317–326 (1974)Google Scholar
- 5.Lu, W., Vaswani, N.: Exact reconstruction conditions and error bounds for regularized Modified Basis Pursuit (Reg-modified-BP). In: 2010 Conference Record of the Forty Fourth Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers (ASILOMAR), pp. 763–767. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Marschner, S.R., Lobb, R.: An evaluation of reconstruction filters for volume rendering. In: Bergeron, R.D., Kaufman, A.E. (eds.) IEEE Visualization, pp. 100–107. IEEE Computer Society (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Möller, T., Mueller, K., Kurzion, Y., Machiraju, R., Yagel, R.: Design of accurate and smooth filters for function and derivative reconstruction. In: Proceedings of the 1998 IEEE Symposium on Volume Visualization, VVS ’98, pp. 143–151. ACM, New York (1998)Google Scholar
- 14.Sigg, C., Hadwiger, M.: Fast third-order texture filtering. In: Pharr, M. (ed.) GPU Gems 2, pp. 313–329. Addison-Wesley (2005)Google Scholar
Open AccessThis article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits any use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and the source are credited.