Digital total variation filtering as postprocessing for Chebyshev pseudospectral methods for conservation laws
Digital total variation filtering is analyzed as a fast, robust, post-processing method for accelerating the convergence of pseudospectral approximations that have been contaminated by Gibbs oscillations. The method, which originated in image processing, can be combined with spectral filters to quickly post-process large data sets with sharp resolution of discontinuities and with exponential accuracy away from the discontinuities.
Keywordsconservation laws digital total variation filtering Gibbs phenomenon numerical partial differential equations pseudospectral methods
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.P. Boyd, Chebyshev and Fourier Spectral Methods, second edition (Dover, New York, 2000).Google Scholar
- C. Canuto, M.Y. Hussaini, A. Quarteroni and T.A. Zang, Spectral Methods for Fluid Dynamics (Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 1988).Google Scholar
- T. Chan, S. Osher and J. Shen, The digital TV filter and nonlinear denoising, IEEE Trans. Image Process. 10(2) (2001).Google Scholar
- A. Gelb and J. Tanner, Robust reprojection methods for the resolution of the Gibbs phenomenon, To appear in Appl. Comput. Harmon. Anal. (January 2005).Google Scholar
- D. Gottlieb and E. Tadmor, Recovering pointwise values of discontinuous data within spectral accuracy, in: Progress and Supercomputing in Computational Fluid Dynamics, eds. E.M. Murman and S.S. Abarbanel (Birkhäuser, Boston, 1985) pp. 357–375.Google Scholar
- Z. Jackiewicz, Determinination of optimal parameters for the Chebyshev-Gegenbauer reconstruction method, SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 25(4) (2003).Google Scholar
- A. Fatemi, L. Rudin and S. Osher, in: Proceedings of the 11th Annual International Conference of the Center for Nonlinear Studies on Experimental Mathematics (1992) pp. 259–268.Google Scholar
- S. Osher and J. Shen, Digitized PDE method for data restoration, in: Analytic-Computational Methods in Applied Mathematics, chapter 16, ed. G. Anastassiou (Chapman and Hall/CRC, 2000) pp. 751–771.Google Scholar
- E. Tadmor, Numerical methods for fluid dynamics IV, in: Proceedings of the 1992 Conference on Numerical Methods for Fluid Dynamics (1993) pp. 69–82.Google Scholar
- J. Tanner, Optimal filter and mollifier for piecewise smooth spectral data, Submitted to Math. Comput. (April 2004).Google Scholar