Modeling and analysis of piezoaeroelastic energy harvesters
- 939 Downloads
This work investigates the influence of structural and aerodynamic nonlinearities on the dynamic behavior of a piezoaeroelastic system. The system is composed of a rigid airfoil supported by nonlinear torsional and flexural springs in the pitch and plunge motions, respectively, with a piezoelectric coupling attached to the plunge degree of freedom. The analysis shows that the effect of the electrical load resistance on the flutter speed is negligible in comparison to the effects of the linear spring coefficients. The effects of aerodynamic nonlinearities and nonlinear plunge and pitch spring coefficients on the system’s stability near the bifurcation are determined from the nonlinear normal form. This is useful to characterize the effects of different parameters on the system’s output and ensure that subcritical or “catastrophic” bifurcation does not take place. Numerical solutions of the coupled equations for two different configurations are then performed to determine the effects of varying the load resistance and the nonlinear spring coefficients on the limit-cycle oscillations (LCO) in the pitch and plunge motions, the voltage output and the harvested power.
KeywordsEnergy harvesting Piezoaeroelastic Nonlinear analysis Normal form
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Abdelkefi, A., Najar, F., Nayfeh, A.H., Ben Ayed, S.: An energy harvester using piezoelectric cantilever beams undergoing coupled bending-torsion vibrations. Smart Mater. Struct. (2010) (submitted) Google Scholar
- 12.Bryant, M., Garcia, E.: Energy harvesting: a key to wireless sensor nodes. Proc. SPIE 7493 (2009). doi: 10.1117/12.845784
- 13.Bryant, M., Garcia, E.: Development of an aeroelastic vibration power harvester. Proc. SPIE 7288 (2009). doi: 10117/12.815785
- 16.Gilliat, H.C., Strganac, T.W., Kurdila, A.J.: An investigation of internal resonance in aeroelastic systems. Nonlinear Dyn. 31 (2003) Google Scholar
- 19.Strganac, T.W., Ko, J., Thompson, D.E., Kurdila, A.J., Identification and control of limit-cycle oscillations in aeroelastic systems. In: Proceedings of the 40th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference and Exhibit, St. Louis, MO, vol. 3, pp. 99–1463 (1999) Google Scholar