Analytical approach for the earthquake performance evaluation of repaired/retrofitted RC bridge piers using time-dependent element
In order to evaluate the seismic performance of damaged reinforced concrete members, particularly bridge piers, an inelastic time-dependent element is proposed. The proposed element enables increased characteristics due to structural intervention (i.e., repair or retrofitting) to be accurately reflected in the degraded strength and stiffness of the members. The inelastic time-dependent element having both birth and death times can freely be activated within the user-defined time intervals of interest during static and dynamic time-history analyses. Comparative studies are carried out for reinforced concrete bridge columns that are repaired and retrofitted. Analytical predictions incorporating the developed element show reasonable correlation with experimental results. Also conducted is a nonlinear time-history analysis of a reinforced concrete bridge under multiple earthquakes. Comparative analytical results confirm the applicability and effectiveness of the current development. It is thus expected that the present element is capable of providing salient features for the healthy evaluation of seismic performance of reinforced concrete members being repaired and retrofitted.
KeywordsTime-dependent element RC bridge piers Repair and retrofit Multiple earthquakes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cecen, H.: Response of ten-storey reinforced concrete model frames to simulated earthquakes. Doctoral Thesis, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1979) Google Scholar
- 3.Chai, Y.H., Priestley, M.J.N., Seible, F.: Seismic retrofit of circular bridge columns for enhanced flexural performance. ACI Struct. J. 88(5), 572–584 (1991) Google Scholar
- 4.Elnashai, A.S., Papanikolaou, V., Lee, D.H.: ZeusNL-A program for inelastic dynamic analysis of structures. Mid-America Earthquake Center, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2001) Google Scholar
- 5.Izzuddin, B.A., Elnashai, A.S.: Adaptive space frame analysis. Part I: A plastic hinge approach. Proc. Inst. Civ. Eng. Struct. Build. 99, 303–316 (1993) Google Scholar
- 9.Lee, D.H., Elnashai, A.S.: Inelastic seismic analysis of RC bridge piers including flexure-shear-axial interaction. Struct. Eng. Mech. 13(3), 241–260 (2002) Google Scholar
- 12.Mahin, S.A.: Effects of duration and aftershocks on inelastic design earthquakes. In: Proceedings of the 7th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Istanbul, vol. 5 (1980) Google Scholar
- 16.Priestley, M.J.N., Seible, F., Xiao, Y., Verma, R.: Steel jacket retrofitting of reinforced concrete bridge columns for enhanced shear strength, Part 1: Theoretical considerations and test design. ACI Struct. J. 91(5), 394–405 (1994) Google Scholar
- 17.Priestley, M.J.N., Seible, F., Xiao, Y., Verma, R.: Steel jacket retrofitting of reinforced concrete bridge columns for enhanced shear strength, Part 2: Test results and comparison with theory. ACI Struct. J. 91(5), 537–551 (1994) Google Scholar
- 18.Saiidi, M., Sozen, M.A.: Simple and complex models for nonlinear seismic response of reinforced concrete structures. Structural Research Series No. 465, Civil Engineering Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1979) Google Scholar