Small-signal amplification of period-doubling bifurcations in smooth iterated maps
- 75 Downloads
Various authors have shown that, near the onset of a period-doubling bifurcation, small perturbations in the control parameter may result in much larger disturbances in the response of the dynamical system. Such amplification of small signals can be measured by a gain defined as the magnitude of the disturbance in the response divided by the perturbation amplitude. In this paper, the perturbed response is studied using normal forms based on the most general assumptions of iterated maps. Such an analysis provides a theoretical footing for previous experimental and numerical observations, such as the failure of linear analysis and the saturation of the gain. Qualitative as well as quantitative features of the gain are exhibited using selected models of cardiac dynamics.
KeywordsPrebifurcation amplification Period-doubling bifurcation Cardiac dynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Arneodo, A.: Scaling for a periodic forcing of a period-doubling system. Phys. Rev. Lett. 53, 1240; 54, 86 (1984)Google Scholar
- 3.Argoul, F., Arneodo, A., Richetti, O., Roux, J.C., Swinney, H.L.: Transitions to chaos in the presence of an external periodic field – crossover effect in the measure of critical exponents. Europhys. Lett. 3, 643 (1987)Google Scholar
- 4.Kuznetsov, S.P.: Effect of a periodic external perturbation on a system which exhibits an order-chaos transition through period-doubling bifurcation. JETP Lett. 39, 133 (1984)Google Scholar
- 8.Wiesenfeld, K., McNamara, B.: Small-signal amplification in bifurcating dynamical systems. Phys. Rev. A 33, 629–642 (1986); erratum: ibid 33, 3578 (1986)Google Scholar
- 15.Chialvo, D.R., Michaels, D.C., Jalife, J.: Supernormal excitability as a mechanism of chaotic dynamics of activation in cardiac Purkinje fibers. Circ. Res. 66, 525–545 (1990)Google Scholar
- 18.Berger, C.M., Dobrovolny, H., Zhao, X., Schaeffer, D.G., Krassowska, W., Gauthier, D.J.: Investigating a period-doubling bifurcation in cardiac tissue using alternate pacing. In: Dynamics Days, Bethesda, MD, January 4–7, 2006Google Scholar
- 19.American Heart Association: Heart disease and stroke statistics – 2004 update. American Heart Association, Dallas, TX, 2004Google Scholar