Catalogue of rogue waves reported in media in 2006–2010
- 350 Downloads
The data of rogue wave accidents reported in mass media during 2006–2010 years are collected and analysed. The collection includes 106 events, which are classified by their validity as true (78) and possible (28) and by the location of their occurrence: we distinguish deep, shallow and coastal rogue waves, which occurred in deep/shallow waters or at the coast. The validity of the event has been estimated by the rogue wave height, which should be twice larger than the significant wave height (significant wave height has been taken from satellite data), and/or by the associated hazard. It is shown that rogue waves cause especially high damage in shallow waters and at the coast.
KeywordsRogue waves Catalogue World Ocean Mass media reports
The altimeter products were produced by Ssalto/Duacs and distributed by Aviso, with support from Cnes (http://www.aviso.oceanobs.com/duacs/). Partial support from the targeted financing by the INTERREG III and CPER 2007–2013, the Estonian Ministry of Education and Research (grant SF0140007s11), Estonian Science Foundation (grant 8870), the EC Programme FP7-PEOPLE-2009-IIF under grant agreement No 254389, Russian Foundation for Basic Research (Grants 11-05-00216 and 11-02-00483), Russian President Program (MK-4378.2011.5) and ESF DoRa 5.
- Didenkulova I (2011) Shapes of freak waves in the coastal zone of the Baltic Sea (Tallinn Bay). Boreal Environ Res 16(suppl A):138–148Google Scholar
- Kharif Ch, Pelinovsky E, Slunyaev A (2009) Rogue waves in the ocean. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Liu PC (2007) A chronology of freaque wave encounters. Geofiz 24:57–70Google Scholar
- Mallory JK (1974) Abnormal waves on the south-east of South Africa. Int Hydrogr Rev 51:89–129Google Scholar
- MaxWave. Rogue Waves: Forecast and Impact on Marine Structures. GKSS Research Center, Geesthacht, Germany, 2003Google Scholar
- Olagnon M, Athanassoulis GA (2001) Rogue Waves 2000. Ifremer, FranceGoogle Scholar
- Rosenthal W, Lehner S, Dankert H, Guenther H, Hessner K, Horstmann J, Niedermeier A, Nieto-Borger JC, Schulz-Stellenfleth J, Reichert K (2003) Detection of extreme single waves and wave statistics. In: Rogue waves: forecast and impact on marine structures. GKSS Research Center, Geesthacht, Germany, 2003, Papers WP 1, 3Google Scholar
- Torum A, Gudmestad OT (1990) Water wave kinematics. Kluwer, DordrechtGoogle Scholar