Diffusion of mobile data in Finland
- 63 Downloads
The diffusion of mobile data in Finland during 2005–2008 was studied in this research. Research data was collected on 80–99% of Finnish mobile subscribers by utilizing the usage accounting systems of mobile operators and by conducting traffic measurement at mobile networks yearly in 2005–2008. Mobile handset features central to mobile data usage have diffused to the mass market in Finland, and data traffic volume in mobile networks has grown exponentially. This growth is driven by laptop computers equipped with data terminals and mobile broadband subscriptions, although the usage of handsets for mobile data has also increased. In conclusion, it seems that the critical mass of handset users necessary for mass market diffusion of mobile data services should be achieved soon. Nevertheless, laptop computers will continue to dominate handsets traffic-wise in mobile networks.
KeywordsDiffusion Usage Mobile Internet Data Finland
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kivi, A. (2007). Mobile data adoption in Finland 2005–2006. In Presented at the 6th conference on telecommunication techno-economics (CTTE2007), Helsinki, Finland.Google Scholar
- 3.Smith, C., & Grundl, P. (2002). Know your enemy: Passive fingerprinting, the honeynet project know your enemy whitepapers series, March 4, 2002.Google Scholar
- 4.Ficora (2008). Market review 2008, finnish communications regulatory authority, Helsinki, Finland. http://www.ficora.fi/en/index/tutkimukset/puhelinjalaajakaistapalvelut/markkinatieto.html. Accessed 9 Jan 2009.
- 5.Statistics Finland (2008). Telecommunications 2007, official statistics of Finland. http://www.stat.fi/til/tvie/2007/tvie_2007_2008-06-05_kat_001_en.html. Accessed 9 Jan 2009.
- 6.Statistics Finland (2007). Telecommunications 2006, official statistics of Finland. http://www.stat.fi/til/tvie/2006/tvie_2006_2007-06-05_tie_001_en.html. Accessed 9 Jan 2009.
- 7.Statistics Finland (2006). Telecommunications 2005, official statistics of Finland. http://www.stat.fi/til/tvie/2005/tvie_2005_2006-06-01_tie_001_en.html. Accessed 9 Jan 2009.
- 8.Katajisto, T. (2008). Broad broadband (In Finnish), public presentation at the ministry of transport and communications broadband seminar, 7.5.2008. http://lvm.navigo.fi/c/document_library/get_file?folderId=27765&name=DLFE-1417.pdf. Accessed 13 Jan 2009.
- 9.Prieur, E. (2007). Deploying UMTS at 900 MHz, public presentation at the FierceWireless Webinar. 12 Dec 2007.Google Scholar
- 10.Elisa (2008). Elisa Corporation interim report 1.7.2008–30.9.2008, Helsinki, Finland.Google Scholar
- 11.Suomen numerot NUMPAC Oy (2009). Number portability statistic Finland: Q4 2008. http://www.numpac.fi/tiedostot/Numpac_statistic_in_English_Q4_2008.ppt. Accessed 10 Jan 2009.
- 12.Smura, T., Kivi, A., & Töyli, J. (2009). Mobile data services in Finland: Usage of networks, devices, applications, and content. Accepted for publication at the International Journal of Electronic Business.Google Scholar
- 13.Min, T. C. (2008). The effects of 3G handset bundling on price level and communications services (In Finnish). Publications of the Ministry of Transport and Communications 13/2008, Helsinki, Finland. http://www.mintc.fi/fileserver/LVM13_2008.pdf. Accessed 13 Jan 2009.