Structural and Quantitative Comparison of Cerebrospinal Fluid Glycoproteins in Alzheimer’s Disease Patients and Healthy Individuals
Glycoproteins in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) are altered in Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) patients compared to control individuals. We have utilized albumin depletion prior to 2D gel electrophoresis to enhance glycoprotein concentration for image analysis as well as structural glycoprotein determination without glycan release using mass spectrometry (MS). The benefits of a direct glycoprotein analysis approach include minimal sample manipulation and retention of structural details. A quantitative comparison of gel-separated glycoprotein isoforms from twelve AD patients and twelve control subjects was performed with glycoprotein-specific and total protein stains. We have also compared glycoforms in pooled CSF obtained from AD patients and control subjects with mass spectrometry. One isoform of α1-antitrypsin showed decreased glycosylation in AD patients while another glycosylated isoform of an unassigned protein was up-regulated. Protein expression levels of α1-antitrypsin were decreased, while the protein levels of apolipoprotein E and clusterin were increased in AD. No specific glycoform could be specifically assigned to AD.
KeywordsProteomics Glycoproteomics Glycoprotein N-linked Glycosylation Glycoform Isoform CSF Cerebrospinal fluid Alzheimer’s Disease α1-antitrypsin Apolipoprotein E Clusterin Haptoglobin α-1-β-glycoprotein Zinc-α-2-glycoprotein 2D gel electrophoresis 2D-GE Albumin depletion Image analysis Mass spectrometry FT-ICR MS Linear ion trap
- 9.Jobst KA, Barnetson LP, Shepstone BJ (1997) Accurate prediction of histologically confirmed Alzheimer’s disease and the differential diagnosis of dementia: the use of NINCDS-ADRDA and DSM-III-R criteria, SPECT, X-ray CT, and APO E4 medial temporal lobe dementias. The Oxford Project to Investigate Memory and Aging. Int Psychogeriatr 1(Suppl 9):191–222; discussion 247–252CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Ogata Y, Charlesworth C, Muddiman D (2005) Evaluation of Protein Depletion Methods for the Analysis of Total-, Phospho- and Glycoproteins in Lumbar Cerebrospinal Fluid. J Proteome Res. Web Release Date:31–Mar-2005Google Scholar
- 21.APA (1994) Diagnostical and statistical manual of mental disorders, 4th edn. American Phychiatric Association, Committee on Nomenclature and statistics, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- 22.WHO (1992) The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioural disorders. WHO, GeneveGoogle Scholar
- 34.Nilsson CL (2005) High-resolution mass spectrometric approaches to glycoprotein characterization. In: Marko-Varga G (ed) Proteomics and peptidomics-technology developments driving biology. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 411–428Google Scholar