Endocan, a new invasion and angiogenesis marker of pituitary adenomas
- 596 Downloads
Angiogenesis plays a crucial role in tumor growth. Recently, endocan has emerged as a new marker of vascular endothelial cells from cancers in other organs. In this study, we elucidated the relationship between endocan expression and tumor invasion of pituitary adenoma. Tumor tissues were obtained from 70 patients with pituitary adenoma and were examined using fluorescence immunohistochemistry. Tissue samples included 4 adrenocorticotrophic hormone producing adenomas, 10 growth hormone-producing adenomas, 49 clinically nonfunctioning adenomas, 6 prolactin producing adenomas, and 1 thyroid-stimulating hormone producing adenoma. Endocan was exclusively expressed in CD34-positive vascular endothelial cells, with over 90 % colocalization. The CD34 expression was significantly elevated with endocan expression (linear regression slope, 1.200; r2 = 0.268, F = 23.08, p < 0.0001). As a percentage of CD34 expression, endocan expression was elevated in a Knosp grading dependent manner (Spearman’s r-value, 0.651; p < 0.0001), and was also significantly elevated in macroadenomas compared with microadenomas (p = 0.0133). However, no differences in endocan expression were observed between hormonal subtypes (p = 0.066; Kruskal–Wallis test), age (Spearman’s rank correlation test, p = 0.4909), or sex (Mann–Whitney test, p = 0.1701). These data show that endocan is closely related to tumor angiogenesis, and may predict tumor invasion into neighboring cavernous sinuses in pituitary adenomas.
KeywordsEndocan Vascular endothelial cell Tumor angiogenesis Tumor invasion
This study was supported by a Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research from the Ministry of Education, Science, and Culture of Japan (Nos. 20591726 and 18390405).
Conflict of interest
There are no conflicts of interest for all authors. Fumihiro Matano who is a member of the JNS have registered on-line Self-reported COI Disclosure Statement Forms through the web-site for JNS members.
- 1.Di Ieva A, Grizzi F, Ceva-Grimaldi G, Aimar E, Serra S, Pisano P, Lorenzetti M, Tancioni F, Gaetani P, Crotti F, Tschabitscher M, Matula C, Rodriguez YBR (2010) The microvascular network of the pituitary gland: a model for the application of fractal geometry to the analysis of angioarchitecture and angiogenesis of brain tumors. J Neurosurg Sci 54:49–54PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Lee JS, Park YS, Kwon JT, Nam TK, Lee TJ, Kim JK (2011) Radiological apoplexy and its correlation with acute clinical presentation, angiogenesis and tumor microvascular density in pituitary adenomas. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 50:281–287. doi: 10.3340/jkns.2011.50.4.281 PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Grigoriu BD, Depontieu F, Scherpereel A, Gourcerol D, Devos P, Ouatas T, Lafitte JJ, Copin MC, Tonnel AB, Lassalle P (2006) Endocan expression and relationship with survival in human non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res Off J Am Assoc Cancer Res 12:4575–4582. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.ccr-06-0185 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Sarrazin S, Adam E, Lyon M, Depontieu F, Motte V, Landolfi C, Lortat-Jacob H, Bechard D, Lassalle P, Delehedde M (2006) Endocan or endothelial cell specific molecule-1 (ESM-1): a potential novel endothelial cell marker and a new target for cancer therapy. Biochim Biophys Acta 1765:25–37. doi: 10.1016/j.bbcan.2005.08.004 PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Cornelius A, Cortet-Rudelli C, Assaker R, Kerdraon O, Gevaert MH, Prevot V, Lassalle P, Trouillas J, Delehedde M, Maurage CA (2012) Endothelial expression of endocan is strongly associated with tumor progression in pituitary adenoma. Brain Pathol 22:757–764. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3639.2012.00578.x PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Rennel E, Mellberg S, Dimberg A, Petersson L, Botling J, Ameur A, Westholm JO, Komorowski J, Lassalle P, Cross MJ, Gerwins P (2007) Endocan is a VEGF-A and PI3 K regulated gene with increased expression in human renal cancer. Exp Cell Res 313:1285–1294. doi: 10.1016/j.yexcr.2007.01.021 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Mikkelsen ME, Shah CV, Scherpereel A, Lanken PN, Lassalle P, Bellamy SL, Localio AR, Albelda SM, Meyer NJ, Christie JD (2012) Lower serum endocan levels are associated with the development of acute lung injury after major trauma. J Crit Care 27(522):e511–e527. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrc.2011.07.077 Google Scholar
- 24.De Freitas Caires N, Legendre B, Parmentier E, Scherpereel A, Tsicopoulos A, Mathieu D, Lassalle P (2013) Identification of a 14 kDa endocan fragment generated by cathepsin G, a novel circulating biomarker in patients with sepsis. J Pharm Biomed Anal 78–79:45–51. doi: 10.1016/j.jpba.2013.01.035 Google Scholar
- 25.Nault JC, Guyot E, Laguillier C, Chevret S, Ganne-Carrie N, N’Kontchou G, Beaugrand M, Seror O, Trinchet JC, Coelho J, Lassalle P, Charnaux N, Delehedde M, Sutton A, Nahon P (2013) Serum proteoglycans as prognostic biomarkers of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with alcoholic cirrhosis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev. doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.epi-13-0179 Google Scholar
- 26.Roudnicky F, Poyet C, Wild P, Krampitz S, Negrini F, Huggenberger R, Rogler A, Stohr R, Hartmann A, Provenzano M, Otto VI, Detmar M (2013) Endocan is upregulated on tumor vessels in invasive bladder cancer where it mediates VEGF-A-induced angiogenesis. Cancer Res 73:1097–1106. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.can-12-1855 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Pizarro CB, Oliveira MC, Pereira-Lima JF, Leaes CG, Kramer CK, Schuch T, Barbosa-Coutinho LM, Ferreira NP (2009) Evaluation of angiogenesis in 77 pituitary adenomas using endoglin as a marker. Neuropathology Off J Jpn Soc Neuropathol 29:40–44. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1789.2008.00937.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Yoshida D, Nomura R, Teramoto A (2009) Signalling pathway mediated by CXCR7, an alternative chemokine receptor for stromal-cell derived factor-1alpha, in AtT20 mouse adrenocorticotrophic hormone-secreting pituitary adenoma cells. J Neuroendocrinol 21:481–488. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2826.2009.01867.x PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Viacava P, Gasperi M, Acerbi G, Manetti L, Cecconi E, Bonadio AG, Naccarato AG, Acerbi F, Parenti G, Lupi I, Genovesi M, Martino E (2003) Microvascular density and vascular endothelial growth factor expression in normal pituitary tissue and pituitary adenomas. J Endocrinol Invest 26:23–28PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar