Relapse of primary central nervous system lymphoma: clinical features, outcome and prognostic factors
- 276 Downloads
Data on relapsed primary central nervous system lymphoma (PCNSL) are limited. We have evaluated the clinical characteristics and outcome of relapsed PCNSL patients from two German trials.
Patients with relapsed disease after primary treatment were studied. Primary therapy consisted of high-dose methotrexate-based chemotherapy in all patients. Treatment for relapse was not predetermined.
After a median follow-up of 22.5 months, 52 (36%) patients with relapse were identified among 143 patients with complete remission (CR) after primary treatment. The median disease-free survival was 10.25 (3–47.5) months. The median age at relapse was 59 years. Forty-four of 51 evaluable patients relapsed within the CNS, 6 systemically and one both cerebrally and systemically. The median survival time after first relapse was 4.5 (0.5–40.5) months. Karnofsky performance status (KPS) at relapse (P = 0.004), site of relapse (isolated systemic versus other, P = 0.049) and treatment for relapse (versus no treatment, P = 0.001) were independent prognostic factors for survival after relapse in multivariate analysis.
Survival of patients with relapsed PCNSL is poor despite high response rates to salvage therapy. Good KPS, isolated systemic relapse and treatment for relapse were significantly associated with longer survival.
KeywordsChemotherapy Primary central nervous system lymphoma Radiotherapy Relapse Survival
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Blay JY, Conroy T, Chevreau C, Thyss A, Quesnel N, Eghbali H, Bouabdallah R, Coiffier B, Wagner JP, Le Mevel A, Dramais-Marcel D, Baumelou E, Chauvin F, Biron P (1998) High-dose methotrexate for the treatment of primary cerebral lymphomas: analysis of survival and late neurologic toxicity in a retrospective series. J Clin Oncol 16:864–871PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Oȁ9Brien P, Roos D, Pratt G, Liew K, Barton M, Poulsen M, Olver I, Trotter G (2000) Phase II multicenter study of brief single-agent methotrexate followed by irradiation in primary CNS lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 18:519–526Google Scholar
- 8.Soussain C, Merle-Beral H, Reux I, Sutton L, Fardeau C, Gerber S, Ben Othman T, Binet JL, Lehoang P, Leblond V (1996) A single-center study of 11 patients with intraocular lymphoma treated with conventional chemotherapy followed by high-dose chemotherapy and autologous bone marrow transplantation in 5 cases. Leuk Lymphoma 23:339–345PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Jahnke K, Korfel A, Martus P, Weller M, Herrlinger U, Schmittel A, Fischer L, Thiel E (2005) on the behalf of the German Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma Study Group (G-PCNSL-SG): high-dose methotrexate toxicity in elderly patients with primary central nervous system lymphoma. Ann Oncol 16:445–449PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Korfel A, Martus P, Nowrousian MR, Hossfeld DK, Kirchen H, Brücher J, Stelljes M, Birkmann J, Peschel C, Pasold R, Fischer L, Jahnke K, Thiel E (2005) on behalf of the German Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma Study Group (G-PCNSL-SG): response to chemotherapy and treating institution predict survival in primary central nervous system lymphoma. Br J Haematol 128:177–183PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Abrey LE, Moskowitz CH, Mason WP, Crump M, Stewart D, Forsyth P, Paleologos N, Correa DD, Anderson ND, Caron D, Zelenetz A, Nimer SD, DeAngelis LM (2003) Intensive methotrexate and cytarabine followed by high-dose chemotherapy with autologous stem-cell rescue in patients with newly diagnosed primary CNS lymphoma: an intent-to-treat analysis. J Clin Oncol 21:4151–4156PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Herrlinger U, Schabet M, Brugger W, Kortmann RD, Kuker␣W, Deckert M, Engel C, Schmeck-Lindenau HJ, Mergenthaler HG, Krauseneck P, Benohr C, Meisner C, Wiestler OD, Dichgans J, Kanz L, Bamberg M, Weller M (2002) German Cancer Society Neuro-Oncology Working Group NOA-03 multi-center trial of single-agent high-dose methotrexate for primary CNS lymphoma. Ann Neurol 51:247–252PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Poortmans PM, Kluin-Nelemans HC, Haaxma-Reiche H, Vanȁ9t Veer M, Hansen M, Soubeyran P, Taphoorn M, Thomas J, Van den Bent M, Fickers M, Van Imhoff G, Rozewicz C, Teodorovic I, van Glabbeke M (2003) European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Lymphoma Group: high-dose methotrexate-based chemotherapy followed by consolidating radiotherapy in non-AIDS-related primary central nervous system lymphoma: European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Lymphoma Group Phase II Trial 20962. J Clin Oncol 21:4483–4488PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Sanz L, Lopez-Guillermo A, Martinez C, Bosch F, Esteve J, Cobo F, Montoto S, Perales M, Blade J, Cervantes F, Nomdedeu B, Campo E, Montserrat E (1998) Risk of relapse and clinico-pathological features in 103 patients with diffuse large-cell lymphoma in complete response after first-line treatment. Eur J Haematol 61:59–64PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Abrey LE, Batchelor TT, Ferreri AJ, Gospodarowicz M, Pulczynski EJ, Zucca E, Smith JR, Korfel A, Soussain C, DeAngelis LM, Neuwelt EA, Oȁ9Neill BP, Thiel E, Shenkier T, Graus F, van den Bent M, Seymour JF, Poortmans P, Armitage JO, Cavalli F (2005) International Primary CNS Lymphoma Collaborative Group: report of an international workshop to standardize baseline evaluation and response criteria for primary CNS lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 23:5034–5043PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Zucca E, Conconi A, Mughal TI, Sarris AH, Seymour JF, Vitolo U, Klasa R, Ozsahin M, Mead GM, Gianni MA, Cortelazzo S, Ferreri AJ, Ambrosetti A, Martelli M, Thieblemont C, Moreno HG, Pinotti G, Martinelli G, Mozzana R, Grisanti S, Provencio M, Balzarotti M, Laveder F, Oltean G, Callea V, Roy P, Cavalli F, Gospodarowicz MK (2003) International Extranodal Lymphoma Study Group: patterns of outcome and prognostic factors in primary large-cell lymphoma of the testis in a survey by the International Extranodal Lymphoma Study Group. J Clin Oncol 21:20–27PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar