Novel Approaches to the Molecular Mapping of the Brain: 3D Cyclic Immunohistochemistry and Optical Clearing
- 1 Downloads
This review considers the current methods required for functional mapping of neural networks in 3D space with cellular resolution. Cyclic immunohistochemistry approaches and immunohistochemical staining methods for thick nervous tissue preparations are described in detail, along with approaches to clearing large brain formations to allow signals to be visualized at great depth. The main advantages and disadvantages of their use are considered. Perspectives for the development of molecular mapping for studies of the neural substrates of cognitive functions in health and disease are discussed.
Keywordsmolecular brain mapping 3D immunohistochemistry cyclic immunohistochemistry optical clearing immediate early genes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anokhin, K. V., “Molecular scenarios for the consolidation of long-term memory,” Zh. Vyssh. Nerv. Deyat., 47, No. 2, 261–279 (1997).Google Scholar
- Denk, W., Delaney, K. R., Gelperin, A., et al., “Anatomical and functional imaging of neurons using 2-photon laser scanning microscopy,” J. Neurosci. Meth, 54, No. 2, 151–162 (1994).Google Scholar
- Lan, H. Y., Mu, W., Nikolic-Paterson, D. J., and Atkins, C., “A novel, simple, reliable and sensitive method for multiple immunoenzyme staining: use of microwave oven heating to block antibody cross-reactivity and retrieve antigens,” J. Histochem. Cytochem., 43, No. 1, 97–102 (1995).PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Parra, S. G., Vesuna, S. S., Murray, T. A., and Levene, M. J., “Multiphoton microscopy of cleared mouse brain expressing YFP,” J. Vis. Exp., 67, e3848 (2012).Google Scholar
- Purkyně, J. E., Commentatio de Examine Physiologico Organi Visus et Systematis Cutanei, Univ. Breslau Press, Breslau, Prussia (1823).Google Scholar
- Roshchina, M. A., Ivashkina, O. I., and Anokhin, K. V., “Novel approaches to cognitive neurobiology: in vivo two-photon methods for visualization of cognitively active neurons,” Zh. Vyssh. Nerv. Deyat., 62, No. 2, 141–149 (2017).Google Scholar
- Saidov, Kh. M. and Anokhin, K. V., “Novel approaches to cognitive neurobiology: molecular labeling methods and ex vivo visualization of cognitively active neurons,” Zh. Vyssh. Nerv. Deyat., 67, No. 3, 259–272 (2017).Google Scholar
- Tsai, P. S., Kaufhold, J. P., Blinder, P., et al., “Correlations of neuronal and microvascular densities in murine cortex revealed by direct counting and colocalization of nuclei and vessels,” J. Neurosci., 29, No. 46, 1453–1470 (2009).Google Scholar