Using Mahalanobis Distance to Detect and Remove Outliers in Experimental Covariograms
- 39 Downloads
Experimental variograms are crucial for most geostatistical studies. In kriging, for example, the variography has a direct influence on the interpolation weights. Despite the great importance of variogram estimators in predicting geostatistical features, they are commonly influenced by outliers in the dataset. The effect of some randomly spatially distributed outliers can mask the pattern of the experimental variogram and produce a destructuration effect, implying that the true data spatial continuity cannot be reproduced. In this paper, an algorithm to detect and remove the effect of outliers in experimental variograms using the Mahalanobis distance is proposed. An example of the algorithm’s application is presented, showing that the developed technique is able to satisfactorily detect and remove outliers from a variogram.
KeywordsMahalanobis distance Outliers Variogram
- Ben-Gal, I. (2005). Outlier detection. In Data mining and knowledge discovery handbook (pp. 131–146).Google Scholar
- Filzmoser, P. (2004). A multivariate outlier detection method. na.Google Scholar
- Hazewinkel, M. (2001). Chebyshev inequality in probability theory. Encyclopedia of mathematics. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Mahalanobis, P. C. (1936). On the generalised distance in statistics. Proceedings of the National Institute of Sciences of India, 1936, 49–55.Google Scholar
- Saw, J. G., Yang, M. C., & Mo, T. C. (1984). Chebyshev inequality with estimated mean and variance. The American Statistician, 38(2), 130–132.Google Scholar
- Srivastava, R. M. (2001). Outliers: A guide for data analysts and interpreters on how to evaluate unexpected high values. Contaminated sites statistical applications guidance document no. 12-8, BC, Canada, 4 pp. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/air-land-water/site-remediation/docs/guidance-documents/gd08.pdf. Accessed 4 Aug 2018.
- Werner, M. (2003). Identification of multivariate outliers in large data sets. Ph.D. thesis, Citeseer.Google Scholar
- Ziegel, E. R. (1995). Gslib: Geostatistical software library and user’s guide.Google Scholar