Enhanced electrocatalytic activity of reduced graphene oxide-Os nanoparticle hybrid films obtained at a liquid/liquid interface
- 96 Downloads
Hybrid films of reduced graphene oxide-osmium nanoparticles (rGO-Os NPs) synthesized at a liquid/liquid interface are explored for their electrocatalytic activity towards the oxidation of rhodamine B (RhB), a popular colourant found in textile industry effluents and a non-permitted food colour. The free-standing nature of the films enables them to be lifted directly on to electrodes without the aid of any binders. The films consist of aggregates of ultra-small Os NPs interspersed with rGO layers. The hybrid film exhibits enhanced RhB oxidation when compared to its constituents arising from the synergic effect between rGO and Os NPs, Os contributing to electrocatalysis and rGO contributing to high surface area and conductance as well as stabilization of Os nanoparticles. The electrochemical sensor based on rGO-Os NP hybrid film on pencil graphite electrode shows a remarkable performance for the quantitative detection of RhB with a linear variation in a wide range of concentrations, 4–1300 ppb (8.3 nM–2.71 μM). The modified electrode presents good stability over more than 6 months, reproducibility and anti-interference capability. The use of developed sensor for adequate detection of RhB in real samples such as food samples and pen markers is also demonstrated.
KeywordsElectrochemical sensor Rhodamine B rGO-Os Liquid/liquid interface
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Bramhaiah K, Singh VN, John NS (2016) Hybrid materials of ZnO nanostructures with reduced graphene oxide and gold nanoparticles: enhanced photodegradation rates in relation to their composition and morphology. Phys Chem Chem Phys 18:1478–1486. https://doi.org/10.1039/C5CP05081B CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ede SR, Nithiyanantham U, Kundu S (2014) Enhanced catalytic and SERS activities of CTAB stabilized interconnected osmium nanoclusters.16: 22723-22734. https://doi.org/10.1039/C4CP03068K
- Su X, Li X, Li J, Liu M, Lei F, Tan X, Li P, Luo W (2015) Synthesis and characterization of core–shell magnetic molecularly imprinted polymers for solid-phase extraction and determination of rhodamine B in food. Food Chem 171:292–297. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.09.024 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang J, Yang B, Zhang K, Bin D, Shiraishi Y, Yang P, Du Y (2016) Highly sensitive electrochemical determination of sunset yellow based on the ultrafine Au-Pd and reduced graphene oxide nanocomposites. J Colloid Interface Sci 481:229–235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2016.07.061 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yan J, Liu S, Zhang Z, He G, Zhou P, Liang H, Tian L, Zhou X, Jiang H (2013) Simultaneous electrochemical detection of ascorbic acid, dopamine and uric acid based on graphene anchored with Pd–Pt nanoparticles. Colloids Sur B 111:392–397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2013.06.030 CrossRefGoogle Scholar