Tuneable magnetic properties of hydrothermally synthesised core/shell CoFe2O4/NiFe2O4 and NiFe2O4/CoFe2O4 nanoparticles
- 673 Downloads
Core/shell hetero-nanostructures of hydrothermally synthesised cobalt and nickel ferrites are shown to exhibit novel magnetic properties. The compositions and phase distributions of homogeneous Co0.5Ni0.5Fe2O4, and core/shell NiFe2O4-Core/CoFe2O4-Shell and CoFe2O4-Core/NiFe2O4-Shell nanoparticles (NPs) are confirmed using high-resolution transmission electron microscopy and electron energy loss spectroscopy. SQUID magnetometry investigations demonstrate that, at room temperature, homogeneous Co0.5Ni0.5Fe2O4 NPs (~8 nm in diameter) are in the super-paramagnetic state, the magnetisation of NiFe2O4-Core/CoFe2O4-Shell NPs (~11 nm in diameter) is partially blocked, whilst CoFe2O4-Core/NiFe2O4-Shell NPs (~11 nm in diameter) are in a blocked state. In particular, NiFe2O4-Core/CoFe2O4-Shell NPs exhibit twice the out-of-phase χ″ susceptibility of CoFe2O4-Core/NiFe2O4-Shell NPs, being dominated by the magnetisation of the core ferrite phase. Hence, when exposed to a high-frequency magnetic field, it is considered that the high χ″ susceptibility of NiFe2O4-Core/CoFe2O4-Shell NPs will promote large magnetically induced heating effects, making these core/shell NPs strong candidates for hyperthermia applications.
KeywordsHydrothermal synthesis Spinel ferrites Core/shell nanoparticles Magnetic properties
The authors would like to thank the Engineering and Physical Science research Council for financial support.
- Almeida TP, Fay MW, Zhu Y, Brown PD (2012a) Hydrothermal synthesis and near in situ analysis of NiFe2O4 nanoparticles. J Nanosci Nanotechnol 12:8296–8299Google Scholar
- Almeida TP, Fay MW, Zhu Y, Brown PD (2012b) Controlling role of pH and temperature on CoFe2O4 nanostructures produced by hydrothermal synthesis. J Nanosci Nanotechnol 12:8300–8304Google Scholar
- Dormann JL, Fiorani D, Tronc E (2007) Magnetic relaxation in fine-particle systems. Adv Chem Phys 98:283–294Google Scholar
- Sepelak V, Bergmann I, Feldhoff A, Heitjans P, Krumeich F, Menzel D, Litterst FJ, Campbell SJ, Becker KD (2007) Nanocrystalline nickel ferrite, NiFe2O4: mechanosynthesis, nonequilibrium cation distribution, canted spin arrangement, and magnetic behaviour. J Phys Chem C 111:5026–5033CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shigeoka D, Katayanagi H, Moro Y, Kimura S, Mashino T, Hiroki T, Ichiyanagi Y (2010b) AC magnetic susceptibility of Co–Ti–Zn ferrite nanoparticles for hyperthermia agents. Nanoelectron Conf Proc 3:904Google Scholar