Red shift in absorption edge of Cd1−x Ni x S dilute magnetic semiconductor nanofilms
Nickel-doped cadmium sulphide dilute semiconductor nanofilms (Cd1−x Ni x S, 0 ≤ x ≤ 0.09) have been investigated using atomic force microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, Fourier infrared transform and UV–Vis spectroscopy. With increasing Ni content a decrease in average crystallite size (26–10 nm) and surface roughness has been found. A red shift in optical band gap has been observed with decrease in average crystallite size, which is against quantum confinement.
KeywordsDilute magnetic semiconductors Optical band gap Morphology
The authors acknowledge PU Chandigarh, IIT-Roorkee and JUIT Solan for providing FTIR, SEM & AFM and UV–Vis–NIR facility, respectively.
- Cabana ZL, Torres CMS, Gonzalez G (2011) Semiconducting properties of layered cadmium sulphide-based hybrid nanocomposites. Nanoscale Res Lett 6:523 (8)Google Scholar
- Coates J (2000) Interpretation of IR spectra: a practical approach. In: Mayers RA (ed) Encyclopedia of analytical chemistry. Wiley, Chichester, pp 10815–10837Google Scholar
- Kumar S, Sharma P, Sharma V (2012a) CdS nanofilms: synthesis and the role of annealing on structural and optical properties. J Appl Phys 111:043519/1–043519/6Google Scholar
- Kumar S, Sharma P, Sharma V (2012b) Structural transition in II–VI nanofilms: effect of molar ratio on structural, morphological, and optical properties. J Appl Phys 111:113510/1–113510/6Google Scholar
- Kumar S, Sharma P, Sharma V (2013) Phase transition in II–VI nanofilms of dilute magnetic semiconductors: Cd1−xNixS. Sci Adv Mater 5. doi: 10.1166/sam.2013.1505
- Li L, Muckerman JT, Hybertsen MS, Allen PB (2011) Phase diagram, structure, and electronic properties of (Ga1−xZnx)(N1−xOx) solid solutions from DFT-based simulations. Phys Rev B 83:134202/1–134202/6Google Scholar
- Samanta K, Bhattacharya P, Katiyar RS (2009) Microstructural and ferromagnetic properties of Zn1−xCuxO thin films. J Appl Phys 105:113929/1–113929/4Google Scholar
- Wu XJ, Shen DZ, Zhang ZZ, Zhang JY, Liu KW, Li BH, Lu YM, Zhao DX, Yao B (2006) p-type conductivity and donor-acceptor pair emission in Cd1−xFexS dilute magnetic semiconductors. Appl Phys Lett 89:262118/1–262118/3Google Scholar