Continuous tubular nanofibers of vanadium pentoxide by electrospinning for energy storage devices
- 733 Downloads
Tubular nanofibers (TNFs) of vanadium pentoxide (V2O5) were synthesized by electrospinning technique using a single spinneret for the first time by controlling the properties of the precursor solution. A partially miscible polymeric solution of vanadium oxytrihydroxide [VO(OH)3] was produced by hydrolysis of vanadyl acetylacetonate in Poly(vinylpyrrolidone) (PVP). The phase-separated polymer solution formed the core of the electrospun fibers whereas the VO(OH)3 formed the shell; the core PVP has been removed by controlled heat treatment. The TNFs had an inner diameter ~60 nm and wall thickness ~±100 nm. The capacitive behavior of the V2O5 TNFs was studied using cyclic voltammetry and galvanostatic cycling techniques. The studies showed ideal stable supercapacitive characteristics in the electrospun V2O5 TNFs.
KeywordsV2O5 Nanofibers Nanotubes Electrospinning Supercapacitors
The authors wish to acknowledge the RDU 110330 Grant received from Universiti Malaysia Pahang (UMP) and exploratory research Grant scheme (ERGS, RDU 110602) from the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) Malaysia for the development of one-dimensional nanostructured materials for efficient energy storage.
- Ferreira OP, Souza Filho AG, Alves OL (2010) Recycling dodecylamine intercalated vanadate nanotubes. J Nanopart Res 12(1):367–372Google Scholar
- Gao L , Wang X, Fei L, Ji M, Zheng H, Zhang H, Shen T, Yang K (2005) Synthesis and electrochemical properties of nanocrystalline V2O5 flake via a citric acid-assistant sol-gel method. J Crystal Growth 281(2–4):463–467Google Scholar
- Huang J-S, Chou C-Y, Liu M-Y, Tsai K-H, Lin W-H, Lin C-F (2009) Solution-processed vanadium oxide as an anode interlayer for inverted polymer solar cells hybridized with ZnO nanorods. Org Electro 10(6):1060–1065Google Scholar
- Im JS, Kwon O, Kim YH, Park SJ, Lee Y (2008) The effect of embedded vanadium catalyst on activated electrospun CFs for hydrogen storage. Microporous Mesoporous Mater 115(3):514–521Google Scholar
- Jin AP, Chen W, Zhu QY, Jian ZL (2010) Multi-electrochromism behaviour and electrochromic mechanism of electrodeposited molybdenum doped vanadium pentoxide films. Electrochim Acta 55(22):6408–6414Google Scholar
- Lala NL, Lim TC, Susan L, Ramakrishna S (2010) The effect of carbon black and carbon nanotube additions on electrical resistivity of Nylon-6 nanofiber composites and thin films. Int J Novel Mater 1:11–17Google Scholar
- Shahid M, Rhen DS, Shakir I, Patole SP, Yoo JB, Yang S-J, Kang DJ (2010) Facile synthesis of single crystalline vanadium pentoxide nanowires and their photocatalytic behavior. Mater Lett 64(22):2458–2461Google Scholar