Toxicity of citrate-capped AuNPs: an in vitro and in vivo assessment
- 559 Downloads
In this study, we show that 15 nm citrate-capped AuNPs exert a remarkable toxicity in living systems. The assessment was performed by using well-characterized AuNPs, the combination of in vitro and in vivo models (namely two different cell lines and Drosophila melanogaster), exposure to low dosages of nanoparticles (in the sub-nanomolar concentration range), along with the application of several biological assays to monitor different aspects of the toxic effects, such as viability, genotoxicity, and molecular biomarkers.
KeywordsNanotoxicology Gold nanoparticles In vitro In vivo Environmental, health and safety (EHS)
The authors gratefully acknowledge M.A. Malvindi for help during experiments and V. Fiorelli for the expert technical assistance.
- Barnes CA, Elsaesser A, Arkusz J, Smok A, Palus J, Leśniak A, Salvati A, Hanrahan JP, Jong WH, Dziubałtowska E, Stȩpnik M, Rydzyński K, McKerr G, Lynch I, Dawson KA, Howard CV (2008) Reproducible Comet assay of amorphous silica nanoparticles detects no genotoxicity. Nano Lett 8(9):3069–3074CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bhabra G, Sood A, Fisher B, Cartwright L, Saunders M, Evans WH, Surprenant A, Lopez-Castejon G, Mann S, Davis SA, Hails LA, Ingham E, Verkade P, Lane J, Heesom K, Newson R, Case CP (2009) Nanoparticles can cause DNA damage across a cellular barrier. Nat Nanotechnol 4(12):876–883CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Downey GP, Doherty DE, Schwab B, Elson EL, Henson PM, Worthen GS (1990) Retention of leukocytes in capillaries: role of cell size and deformability. J Appl Physiol 69(5):1767–1778Google Scholar
- Frens G (1973) Controlled nucleation for the regulation of the particle size in monodisperse gold suspensions. Nat Phys Sci 241(105):20–22Google Scholar
- Ischiropoulos H, Gow A, Thom SR, Kooy NW, Royall JA, Crow JP (1999)  Detection of reactive nitrogen species using 2,7-dichlorodihydrfluorescein and dihydrorhodamine 123. Methods Enzymol 301:367–373Google Scholar
- OECD Safety of Manufactured Nanomaterials (2010) http://www.oecd.org/document/53/0,3746,en_2649_37015404_37760309_1_1_1_1,00&&en-USS_01DBC.html
- Park MVDZ, Annema W, Salvati A, Lesniak A, Elsaesser A, Barnes C, McKerr G, Howard CV, Lynch I, Dawson KA, Piersma AH, de Jong WH (2009) In vitro developmental toxicity test detects inhibition of stem cell differentiation by silica nanoparticles. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 240(1):108–116CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sabella S, Galeone A, Vecchio G, Cingolani R, Pompa PP (2011) AuNPs are toxic in vitro and in vivo: a review. J Nanosci Lett 1(3):145–165Google Scholar