Uniform YF3:Yb,Er up-conversion nanophosphors of various morphologies synthesized in polyol media through an ionic liquid
- 452 Downloads
We describe a facile procedure for the synthesis at low temperature (120 °C) of water-dispersible uniform YF3:Yb,Er up-conversion nanophosphors of various morphologies (rhombic and spheroidal) by homogeneous precipitation in polyol solutions containing different lanthanide salts and an ionic liquid (1-butyl, 2-methylimidazolium tetrafluoroborate) as fluoride source. It is shown that the shape of the obtained nanoparticles is mainly determined by the nature of both, the polyol and the lanthanide precursors, which also affects to their colloidal stability in water suspensions. These morphological differences are explained on the basis of a different mechanism of particle formation. The efficiency of the up-conversion processes in the synthesized rhombic and spheroidal nanoparticles is also comparatively analyzed and the observed differences are justified on the basis of the different impurities incorporated to the nanophosphors during their synthesis process.
KeywordsNanoparticles Luminescence Rare earth Yttrium fluoride Up-conversion
This work has been funded by the Spanish Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia (MEC) (grant MAT2008-02166), Junta de Andalucía (grant FQM3579) and Comunidad de Madrid (grant MICROSERES S-0505/TIC/0191). N.O. Nuñez thanks the Spanish Research Council for funding her contract under the JAE program. M. Quintanilla wants to thank the Spanish Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia for an FPU fellowship. We also acknowledge Mr. Victor González for his technical assistance in the DRIFT and TPD measurements.
- Ammar S, Jouini N, Fievet F, Stephan O, Marhic C, Richard M, Villain F, Cartier dit Moulin Ch, Brice S, Sainctavit Ph (2004) Influence of the synthesis parameters on the cation distribution of ZnFe2O4 nanoparticles obtained by forced hydrolysis in polyol medium. J Non-Cryst Solids 345 & 346:658–662CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Caruntu D, Remond Y, Chow NH, Jun MJ, Caruntu G, He J, Goloverda G, O`Connors C, Kolesnichenko V (2002) Reactivity of 3d transition metal cations in diethylene glycol solutions. Synthesis of transition metal ferrites with the structure of discrete nanoparticles complexed with long-chain carboxylate anions. Inorg Chem 41:6137–6146CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Colthup NB, Daly LH, Wiberley SE (1990) Introduction to infrared and Raman spectroscopy. Academic Press, San Diego, p 318Google Scholar
- Nuñez NO, Míguez H, Quintanilla M, Cantelar E, Cussó F, Ocaña M (2008) Synthesis of spherical down- and up-conversion NaYF4-based nanophosphors with tunable size in ethylene glycol without surfactants or capping additives. Eur J Inorg Chem 4517–4524Google Scholar
- Tao F, Wang Z, Yao L, Cai W, Li X (2007) Synthesis and photoluminescence properties of truncated octahedral Eu-doped YF3 submicrocrystals or nanocrystals. J Phys Chem 111:3241–3245Google Scholar