Photochemical synthesis of ZnO/Ag nanocomposites
- 707 Downloads
Composite ZnO/Ag nanoparticles have been formed via the photocatalytic reduction of silver nitrate over the ZnO nanocrystals, their optical, electrophysical and photochemical properties have been investigated. Mie theory has been applied to analyze the structure of the absorption spectra of ZnO/Ag nanocomposite. The irradiation effects upon the optical properties of ZnO/Ag nanostructure have been investigated. It has been found that the irradiation of ZnO/Ag nanoparticles results in electrons accumulation by both the semiconductor and the metallic components of the nanocomposite. It has been found that silver nitrate can be photochemically deposited onto the surface of ZnO nanoparticles under the illumination with the visible light in the presence of the sensitizer – methylene blue. Kinetics of the sensitized Ag(I) photoredution has been studied. It has been concluded that the key stage of this process is the electron injection from singlet-excited methylene blue molecule into ZnO nanoparticle.
Keywordssemiconductor photocatalysis ZnO nanoparticles silver nanoparticles Mie theory metal-semiconductor composites plasmon resonance sensitization methylene blue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albery J.W. (1985). Time-resolved photoredox reactions of colloidal CdS. J. Chem. Soc., Faraday Trans. 1 81: 1999–2007Google Scholar
- Cozzoli P.D., Fanizza E., Comparelli R., Curri M.L., Agostiano A. (2004). Role of metal nanoparticles in TiO2/Ag nanocomposite-based microheterogeneous photocatalysis. J. Phys. Chem. B 108: 9623–9630Google Scholar
- Henglein A. (1997). Nanoclusters of semiconductors and metals. Colloidal nanoparticles of semiconductors and metals: Electronic structure and processes. Ber. Bunsenges. Phys. Chem. 101: 1562–1569Google Scholar
- James T.H. (1977). The Theory of Photographic Process. Macmillan Publishing Co., New York, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Kryukov A.I., Kuchmii S.Ya., Pokhodenko V.D. (2000). Energetics of the electronic processes in semiconductor photocatalytic systems. Theoret. Experim. Chem. 36: 69–87Google Scholar
- Kulak A.I., 1986. Electrochemistry of semiconductor heterostructures, Minsk, UniversitetskoyeGoogle Scholar
- Lee S.K. & A. Mills, 2003. Novel photochemistry of leuco-methylene blue. Chem. Comm., 2366Google Scholar
- Moelwyn-Hughes E.A. (1961). Physical chemistry, Vol. II. Pergamon Press, London, New York, ParisGoogle Scholar
- Pileni M.P., 1998. Optical properties of nanosized particles dispersed in colloidal solutions or arranged in 2D or 3D superlattices. New J. Chem. 693–702Google Scholar
- Terenin A.N. (1967). Photonics of Dye Molecules. Leningrad, NaukaGoogle Scholar