Societal implications of nanoscience and nanotechnology: Maximizing human benefit
The balance between the potential benefits and risks of nanotechnology is discussed based on judgments expressed by leading industry, academe and government experts at a U.S. National Nanotechnology Initiative (NNI) sponsored meeting. The results are summarized in various themes related to: economic impacts and commercialization; social scenarios; technological convergence; quality of life; ethics and law; governance, public perceptions, and education.
Keywordsnanoscale science and engineering nanotechnology benefits and uncertainties responsible R&D recommendations converging technologies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ETC, 2003. No small matter II: The case for a global moratorium size matters!. ETC Occasional Paper Series (see report on http://www.etcgroup.org/documents/Occ. Paper_Nanosafety.pdf)
- European Commission, 2004. Nanotechnology: A preliminary risk analysis on the basis of a preliminary workshop. Brussels, March 1 2, 2004 (see report on europa.eu.int/comm./health/ph_risk/documents/ev_20040301_en.pdf)Google Scholar
- Greenpeace, 2004. Nanotechnology. Greenpeace (see report on http://www.greenpeace.org.uk)
- Meridian Institute, 2004. Summary of the International Dialogue for Responsible R&D of Nanotechnology. Sponsored by NSF, Alexandria, Virginia, US. (http://www.nsf.gov/home/crssprgm/nano/dialog.htm)
- NSET, 2003a. NNI Grand Challenge Workshop: Nanoscale Processes for Environmental Improvement, Arlington, VA, May 8 10, 2003 (see report on the website http://www.nano.gov)
- NSET, 2003b. NNI Workshop on Nanobiotechnology, Arlington, VA, October 9 11, 2003 (see report on the website http://www.nano.gov)
- Roco, M.C., Bainbridge, W.S. 2002Converging technologies for improving human performanceJ. Nanoparticle Res.4281295Google Scholar
- Roco, M.C., 2003. Broader Societal Issues of Nanotechnology. J. Nanoparticle Res., 5(3 4), 181–189 (see paper on the website http://www.nsf.gov/nano)
- Roco, M.C. 2004The U.S. National Nanotechnology Initiative after 3 years (2001 2003)J. Nanoparticle Res.6110Google Scholar
- The Royal Society and the Royal Academy of Engineering, 2004. Nanoscience and Nanotechnologies: Opportunities and Uncertainties. London, UK. (see report on http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk)
- Swiss Re, 2004. Nanotechnology: Small matter, many unknowns. Swiss Re, Switzerland (see report on http://www.swissre.com)
- Wolfgang, L. eds. 2004Industrial Application of Nanomaterials Chances and RisksVDI TechnologiezentrumDusseldorf, GermanyGoogle Scholar