Higher order feasible building blocks for lattice structure of multidimensional linear phase biorthogonal filter banks
A multidimensional (MD) linear phase biorthogonal filter bank (LPBOFB) with higher order feasible (HOF) building blocks is reported. Basically, there are two ways to design filter banks with large filter supports. One way is to use a cascade of degree-1 building blocks, and the other way is to use a cascade of order-1 building blocks. Unfortunately, both methods have high implementation costs in terms of the number of parameters, especially for the multidimensional case. A previously reported HOF building block has now been applied to MD LPBOFBs. Their generalized structural design supports both an even and odd number of channels. It is shown that the HOF structure cannot be factored into a cascade of order-1 building blocks. The proposed MD LPBOFB has larger filters and uses fewer building blocks than the traditional degree-1 and order-1 structures.
KeywordsLattice structure Multidimensional filter banks Higher order feasible (HOF) building blocks Linear phase Perfect reconstruction
- Chen, Y., Adams, M. D., & Lu, W. S. (2007). Design of optimal quincunx filter banks for image coding. EURASIP Journal on Advances Signal Processing, 2007, 83858. doi:10.1155/2007/83858.
- Muramatsu, S., & Kiya, H. (1996). A new design method of linear-phase paraunitary filter banks with an odd number of channels. Proceedings of EUCIPCO, 1, 73–76.Google Scholar
- Nguyen, T. T., & Oraintara, S. (2005). Multidimensional filter banks design by direct optimization. ISCAS, 2, 1090–1093.Google Scholar
- Oraintara, S., & Nguyen, T. Q. (1997). Multidimensional 2-channel PR filter banks. Conference Record of the Thirty-First Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, 2, 1269–1273.Google Scholar
- Yoshida, T., Kyochi, S., & Ikehara, M. (2010). A simplified lattice structure of two-dimensional generalized lapped orthogonal transform (2-D GenLOT) for image coding. In Proceedings of 17th IEEE ICIP, pp. 349–352.Google Scholar