Analysis of frame-compatible subsampling structures for efficient 3DTV broadcast
- 179 Downloads
The evolution of the television market is led by 3DTV technology, and this tendency can accelerate during the next years according to expert forecasts. However, 3DTV delivery by broadcast networks is not currently developed enough, and acts as a bottleneck for the complete deployment of the technology. Thus, increasing interest is dedicated to stereo 3DTV formats compatible with current HDTV video equipment and infrastructure, as they may greatly encourage 3D acceptance. In this paper, different subsampling schemes for HDTV compatible transmission of both progressive and interlaced stereo 3DTV are studied and compared. The frequency characteristics and preserved frequency content of each scheme are analyzed, and a simple interpolation filter is specially designed. Finally, the advantages and disadvantages of the different schemes and filters are evaluated through quality testing on several progressive and interlaced video sequences.
Keywords3DTV Frame-compatible format Side-by-side Subsampling Interpolation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fairchild M. D. (2005) Color appearance models (2nd ed.). Wiley-IS&T, Chichester, UK, pp 26–30Google Scholar
- HDMI Licensing, LLC. (May 2009). High definition multimedia interface: Specification version 1.4a.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11. (2010). Draft call for proposals on 3D video coding technology, Output Doc. N11679.Google Scholar
- ITU-R Broadcasting Service. (1994). Test pictures and sequences for subjective assessments of digital codecs conveying signals produced according to Rec. ITU-R BT.601, Recommendation ITU-R BT.802-1.Google Scholar
- ITU-R Broadcasting Service. (2002). Methodology for the subjective assessment of quality of television pictures, Recommendation ITU-R BT.500-11.Google Scholar
- ITU-R Broadcasting Service. (2009). Features of three-dimensional television video systems for broadcasting, report ITU-R BT.2160.Google Scholar
- ITU-T and ISO/IEC JTC1. (2010). Advanced video coding for generic audiovisual services, ITU-T recommendation H.264 and ISO/IEC 14496-10 (MPEG-4 AVC).Google Scholar
- King, P. (2011). Global 3D-enabled device sales forecast. Strategy Analytics Inc. http://www.strategyanalytics.com/default.aspx?mod=reportabstractviewer&a0=6153
- Nintendo®. (2011). Nintendo 3DS TM hardware specifications. March 27, 2011. http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/hardware/specs
- Oppenheim A. V., Schafer R. W. (2009) Discrete-time signal processing. Prentice Hall, New Jersey, USAGoogle Scholar
- Theußl, T., Hauser, H., Gröller, E., Sullivan, J. R., Ray, L. A., & Miller, R. (2000). Mastering windows: Improving reconstruction. IEEE/ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Volume Visualization, pp. 101–108.Google Scholar